Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Retro Action Pistol Shooting League

Quote Originally Posted by TheTrevor View Post
    Proposed rule: participants must select a division-era-appropriate song to play while they are staging up to shoot, shooting their stage, and tallying score/resetting.

Procedurals will be assessed for music release dates not matching division decade, or music shouted down as being particularly unlistenable by the spectators;
    Bonus points may be awarded if the crowd spontaneously begins singing along, and for epic air guitar solos and/or vocal performances after "unload and show clear"...
    Yes, yes, and yes!

I think it should also be a rule that songs cannot be repeated.

Quote Originally Posted by Skintop911 View Post
    Anyone know who handles Jan Hammer's booking?
    He's manning a DJ booth and running this show.

The 90's... Lots of punk, third wave ska, grunge/alt, etc. You got Pennywise, Face to Face, Corrosion of Conformity, White Zombie, Reel Big Fish, The Mighty Mighty Bosstones, Red Hot Chili Peppers, and that band Dave Grohl was in before Foo Fighters.

Stand out singles include:

Danzig- Mother '93
    Faith No More- Epic (it was a single in 1990)
    Sponge- Plowed
    Marky Mark and the Funky Bunch- Good Vibrations
    MC Hammer— U Can't Touch This
    Think for yourself. Question authority.

90's subdivision: School of John Woo.
    Dual-wielding mandatory, no limit on magazine capacity. Best 4 shots per target count, points divided by 2 for score.
    Permitted reloads: safely ditch both guns (must be both) and draw another identical pair, OR crouch 100% shielded by hard cover and reload while keeping up a stream of taunts and insults directed downrange at the "opposition".
    Does the identical pair have to be the same gun, or can we switch to other guns like Micro UZIs, MP-5Ks, and Skorpions (full auto of course)?

Off to go watch the Matrix, too bad they never made any sequels.

I would pay cash money to sponsor this match.

Quote Originally Posted by PPGMD View Post
    Does the identical pair have to be the same gun, or can we switch to other guns like Micro UZIs, MP-5Ks, and Skorpions (full auto of course)?

Off to go watch the Matrix, too bad they never made any sequels.
    I'm thinking you can switch gun types on the reload, but for at least the pretense of safety in dual-wielding at any given time you have to be shooting the same gun in the same caliber in both hands.

Personally, I'd be inclined to borrow and/or rent a quartet of Skorpion VZ61 pistols and go Matrix-style.

OK, fine, with a pair of USP9's in dual AIWB holsters, just in case...
    Looking for a gun blog with AARs, gear reviews, and the occasional random tangent written by a hardcore geek? trevoronthetrigger.wordpress.com/
    Latest post: The Rogers Shooting School Experience (15 Jul 2014)

Quote Originally Posted by orionz06
    Mother of god! Can I sponsor this?
    Now that we have two prospective sponsors in the first hour... yes?

Quote Originally Posted by caleb View Post
    I would pay cash money to sponsor this match.
    And that, along with the trucker 'stache, is why you are awesome.

I don't know when or where we could make this happen, but if it DOES happen, well... It would be a crime not to have a pro video crew capturing the madness.

Why should the Cowboy/SASS folks have all of the cosplay fun?
    Looking for a gun blog with AARs, gear reviews, and the occasional random tangent written by a hardcore geek? trevoronthetrigger.wordpress.com/

We need an 80s ATeam division.

You are required to use a folder Mini 14.

Also the scoring is a little different.

You must shoot at at least twice as many rounds as there are threat targets in the course of fire. But instead of getting points for each hit, you start with all the points, and any hits on any target subtracts 5 points from your score.

Quote Originally Posted by PPGMD View Post
    We need an 80s ATeam division.

You are required to use a folder Mini 14.

Also the scoring is a little different.

You must shoot at at least twice as many rounds as there are threat targets in the course of fire. But instead of getting points for each hit, you start with all the points, and any hits on any target subtracts 5 points from your score.
    USPSA/IPSC "metric" torso targets posted on 24x36 white-painted cardboard. Minimum 4 hits per target backer, no penalty for "winging" the IPSC target with a grazing shot which also touches the target backer.

Proposed rule: participants must select a division-era-appropriate song to play while they are staging up to shoot, shooting their stage, and tallying score/resetting.

Procedurals will be assessed for music release dates not matching division decade, or music shouted down as being particularly unlistenable by the spectators;
    Bonus points may be awarded if the crowd spontaneously begins singing along, and for epic air guitar solos and/or vocal performances after "unload and show clear"...
    It's a good thing Hank Williams is timeless.
    I had an ER nurse in a class. I noticed she kept taking all head shots. Her response when asked why, "'I've seen too many people who have been shot in the chest putting up a fight in the ER." Point taken.

Quote Originally Posted by jlw View Post
    It's a good thing Hank Williams is timeless.
    I was thinking something similar looking at all the music that was mentioned, and didn't sound the least bit familiar. I think I was listening to country in the 80's, and probably classical in the 90's. And still shooting Smiths and SA Rugers, and using 94's and 1886's.

Man, now I've got this stuck in my head. Just caught myself sketching out a 3-gun stage design based on the lobby scene in the Matrix.

Start in the box to the right of the simulated baggage x-ray, hands at your sides. Upon hearing the beep, fully clear your concealing garment on both sides, draw single or identical-pair pistols, and engage all 4 targets within view.

Move directly forward to pressure plate, which will trigger two arrays of two targets each to move laterally into view from behind cover in the rear-right and rear-back areas of the stage. Neutralize targets and ditch pistol(s) in safe box (mandatory). Move left into cover and draw fresh pistol(s) -- if running one gun at a time, draw and shoot second sequence with non-dominant hand.

From behind cover, step left onto pressure plate and engage three targets as they swing into view from behind cover at 10, 20, 30 feet. The shooter is strongly encouraged to move forward while engaging swinging targets. Points awarded for up to 6 hits per target (dual-wield), or 3 hits per target at double points for shooting WHO.

After moving past last swinging target, deposit pistol(s) in safe box. Turn and retreat uprange empty-handed to staged shotgun at first swinging-target station. Pick up shotgun and engage targets on right side of range: 4 rounds buckshot to full profile targets, 4 rounds slug to partially exposed targets.

Advance directly across towards right side range, ditch shotgun in dump barrel halfway across. Pick up rifle/carbine, stomp pressure plate, and engage final 4 targets in array in front of elevator with headshots only.

User Tag List