Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How do I maintain focus on the front sight through recoil?

Quote Originally Posted by JHC View Post
    Supersix, I'm so glad John posted those awesome pics. I wasn't thrilled about trying to put it to words alone.

Last week, a profile pic of me would have looked pretty similiar. But here were the tweaks I got yesterday.

See his support thumb - where it contacts the frame? My thumb WAS a bit further back, and it's been moved up to the position of the pic.

See all 4 of his support hand fingers fully under the trigger guard? Last week, mine were leading up across the front lower end of the trigger guard. Now tucked under like the pic, facilitated by the support hand camming further forward to place that support thumb.

And the strong thumb was in nearly the same position but not leveraging downward as hard as learned yesterday.

Those tweaks by NGCSUgrad seemed like tiny tweaks until I ran it with some extended strings rapidly.

Thanks John R!
    Glad I could help.

On grip pressure, ideally the support hand will be providing more pressure as it's sole purpose is to help with recoil. That being said, recoil management isn't just about the hands.

Quote Originally Posted by supersix4 View Post
    How much pressure are you putting down with your strong hand thumb? Are you using pressure with your support hand thumb and index finger? Do you have a crush grip with your strong hand or more of a squeeze between your finger tips and palm? The same question for your support had grip.
    I wouldn't recommend doing alot with your strong hand thumb. What I've noticed with my hands is that more than any of my other fingers, my thumb and my middle finger have the strongest sympathy with my trigger finger, ie, if I flick my trigger finger back and forth while trying to keep the rest of my fingers still, it works on my ring and pinky fingers but not so well with my thumb and middle fingers (something I was made aware of while learning the piano, how's that for cross training? ).

What I'm trying to say is, if I were to try and clamp down with my strong hand thumb, I think it would detrimentally effect my trigger finger's dexterity. I try to keep my thumb relaxed and just resting on top of my weak hand.

This might help too, nice closeups on his grip:

Unlike him, I keep my weak hand thumb off the frame to avoid steering the gun in true Brian Enos style. All of the pressure in my weak hand comes from the crushing action of the four non-thumb fingers and the palm into the side of the gun.

Out of anything that has really helped me solidify my grip and get consistent sight return, Matt Burkett's timing drills stand above the rest. Check them out here - http://www.doublealpha.biz/courses-t...tts-tips/#c200
    All I know is that I know nothing. - Socrates

Banned
    It's really easy to see a picture of Sevigny's grip and say, "Oh, I use that same grip."

Chances are you're probably missing several key ingredients, though close definitely counts.

Also, Sevigny's grip is different from Leatham's is different from Enos's is different from Vogel's. There is more than one way to skin a cat.

The best thing to do is get with a good instructor who can work directly on your grip. When golfers of any level work with an instructor, they spend a great deal of time on gripping the club, and shooting should be no different.

If you can't get with an instructor, then use the drill where you shoot at the berm that John Ralston mentioned. That drill, coupled with your brain learning to follow the front sight and your subconscious adjusting your grip to make everything work better will get you where you need to be... eventually.

Quote Originally Posted by beltjones View Post
    If you can't get with an instructor, then use the drill where you shoot at the berm that John Ralston mentioned. That drill, coupled with your brain learning to follow the front sight and your subconscious adjusting your grip to make everything work better will get you where you need to be... eventually.
    That is probably the most important part of it all - everyone looks at their sights, but to actually SEE them during recoil takes some doing. The first time it happens is truly amazing.

Quote Originally Posted by John Ralston
    The first time it happens is truly amazing.
    This.

I have a very bad anticipation problem - I know I have it and it's something that I try to minimize. I had read a recommendation (somewhere - don't recall) to shoot into the berm at a fast pace to get past the "i can feel the trigger is about to trip" sensation and subsequent anticipation dip of the muzzle.

Combining that with a hard focus on the front sight - something *else* I had never really done before - and I could suddenly see the front sight lifting with the recoil. It was a truly amazing thing, as you said.
    Mike

Quote Originally Posted by beltjones View Post
    Also, Sevigny's grip is different from Leatham's is different from Enos's is different from Vogel's. There is more than one way to skin a cat.
    Along those lines, I think it's worth remembering that not all hands fit all guns the same way. Somebody with small hands may not have the best results using the exact same grip as somebody with Johnny Benchian, Truckasaurus Rex hands.

Even without my hands changing size () I find that I usually have to make slight alterations to my grip between guns to account for differences in size and shape to do my best with a given gun.

It seems to me this is one of those things that it's best to understand the mechanics and the whys of how your grip should work rather than try to exactly mimic shooter X.

Donovan, I am definitely tracking you , and thank you for the link. That will be most helpful.

beltjones, I should have been more clear in my response. I use a two thumbs forward grip with all 4 support fingers under the trigger guard. I would love to make it to a Vickers or Hackathorn, et al pistol course, but travel in and out of Alaska is costly and time consuming. So I do what I can. I have been doing some experimenting with my grip and have seen good improvement with tip of using my shoulder and chest muscles to tighten up the grip.

And yes, when I began to track the front sight it is/was a light bulb moment! Learning occurred. Between to berm drill and the link Donovan added. I will have much to work on. Fortunately, the sun does not go down this time of year and I can shoot on my private range as late/early as I like.

Thanks all for the input, I enjoy the exchange of ideas and tips. This forum is a great resource.

User Tag List