Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Timers

Timers

I'm in the process of building up my own set of equipment and accessories for shooting. Until recently I've done all my shooting in the company of my grandfather, so I'd like to start getting stuff together.

The biggest lack I have right now is any kind of shooting timer. What do some of you folks use, and why? Are they all more or less the same?
    I don't understand what's happening, but I have a soldering iron.

Site Supporter
    I have a PACT Club Timer III.

It's biggest drawback is the sensitivity adjustment screw, it's behind the battery. If I only shot outdoors, where I didn't need to adjust the sensitivity a lot, it would do well. I shoot at busy indoor ranges, where the guy next to me may have an AR, so it's very suboptimal.

Murder Machine, Harmless Fuzzball TCinVA's Avatar
    I use the Club Timer III, but generally I go at times when I have the range to myself so I don't have to worry much about other folks interfering with my timing. The Competition Pocket Pro timer is also a fairly well regarded option.

I have a CED 8000 and the main reason I bought it is for the ear phone plug. I tend to dry fire when the kids are sleeping so this is very important to me. Mine has served me well for the last year.

I have a PACT MK IV and I do not recommend it. It is too complicated to run (at least, to me), it has poor ergos, average battery life, no external sensitivity adjustments - there is supposedly internal one, but you need to take off the entire front panel. It picks up shots from all lanes, and I can only use it when I am alone at the range (almost never), or put up with interferences. In three years of light use it needed to go back for a repair; it took over a month and you pay shipment both ways. Could be a sample of one owner and one unit, but I saw Vickers throw his into garbage despite a lifetime warranty.

I like my CED7000. It's compact, the display is good, and the menus are easy to use. I like the rechargable battery feature a lot. If I were designing a timer, the CED7000 is pretty close to what I'd end up with.

We are diminished
    After breaking four CED7000s over the course of about a year, I gave up. Greater size and feature set, but less durable than a political promise.

I now use Competition Electronics Pocket Pro 2's.

Quote Originally Posted by ToddG View Post
    After breaking four CED7000s over the course of about a year, I gave up. Greater size and feature set, but less durable than a political promise.

I now use Competition Electronics Pocket Pro 2's.
    What were the failures? Mine is going strong for about 2 years, but I'm sure I don't use it as much as you do. Did they at least replace them under warranty?

We are diminished
    They literally stopped working.

The first two were replaced under warranty. The second two were returned for a refund and I got the PP2s from Speed Shooter Specialties.

The biggest issues with the PP2:
    • one of mine occasionally has the screen pixelate; the battery needs to be removed and returned to get the screen back to normal
    • both of mine have had the battery leads bend, requiring me to build up the battery area (with target pasters, as a matter of fact) to keep the battery pressed fully against the leads

I have a Pact Club Timer III that I picked up used this year. It has worked fine for my needs.
    -Seconds Count. Misses Don't-

User Tag List