Page 3 of 49 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Just when you thought that IDPA was done with the stupid ideas...

Quote Originally Posted by orionz06 View Post
    "Simulates self defense scenarios and real life encounters" sounds an awful lot like an attempt at a realistic gun game.
    I think dues paying members can say what they wish. It's not anti-IDPA, it's I wish IDPA made more sense that a drunk uncle at the reunion.
    Last time I checked, "sounds an awful lot like..." and "are" are not the same thing. Further clarification can be described under rule 1.1.5.
    The intent is to have a realistic COF, as much as is possible in a limited safe range venue.

And comparing IDPA rules to something a "drunk uncle at the reunion" made up is insulting. It may not be what YOU like, or it may not be the realistic gun game you want it to be, but no reason to lower it to that level.
    Cody
    That a well-regulated militia, composed of the body of the people, trained to arms, is the proper, natural, and safe defense of a free state;

There are pretty big differences between the Code of Conduct in the rulebook and the S&W one. Like this:

I will not communicate with others in a threatening, harassing or abusive manner, and will not engage in the use of off-color remarks and jokes or profanity during the course of my participation in the match. I will not physically touch another person participating in an IDPA event without their consent unless it is necessary to address an immediate safety issue.
    Or this

I will represent my sport in a professional manner through my behavior and dress, in accordance with the standards established by the Match Director and Smith & Wesson.
    I will refrain from disparagement or inappropriate criticism of IDPA or other shooting sports, their officials, and rules of match competition.
    I will always be a champion for IDPA and promote IDPA in the best light possible.
    The code of conduct in the rule book are basically guidelines for decent IDPA member conduct. I don't really have a problem with them. I have a problem with being told what I can and can't say about IDPA, what I can and can't wear to an IDPA match, and being told I have to promote IDPA "in the best light possible."

I have been a huge booster for IDPA - I ran their social media for a while, it was the first shooting sport I ever played, and I believe that it is a net positive benefit for the shooting sports. My company is a match sponsor of Indoor and Outdoor Nationals, as well as state and regional matches. The S&W Code of Conduct is the sort of thing that pushes my automatic disobedience buttons, because in the words of my generation: "you're not the boss of me."

Quote Originally Posted by john556 View Post
    What are the chances of the sights being charged while they sit in a holster all day? HK is discirminating against HK by putting those things they claim are pistol sights on $900 guns.
    I honestly don't think that banning charging of sights is a BAD idea. I just don't think that that equipment rules should be something that MDs get to decide. They basically say in the announcement, "There is no rule against it, so we are going to make up our own."

Quote Originally Posted by _JD_ View Post
    With all due respect,

US? What us? I think you mean "You" there are plenty us here in this thread and other threads that are IDPA members that are simply sharing our feelings of being...disenfranchised? Or otherwise unhappy with the direction of IDPA. That's it. It's not like we're standing outside the gate of your club with signs saying "USPSA MATCH THIS WAY" with an arrow pointing down the road.
    By US, I mean the handgun shooting community and industry generally. I have no problem with people providing feedback in a respectful manner. It is the ridiculing and derogatory remarks that don't help. If you want to suggest that IDPA needs to change certain things, then just do that in a positive manner. And, some here have said exactly that IDPA should be avoided and USPSA is the only way. Some here have gone beyond that.

Participants in IDPA are building their skills, supporting the industry by buying products, enjoying the competition, and growing in their knowledge. If they want to go further, they move to USPSA and tactical training classes that are more practical. IDPA doesn't claim to be the be-all and end-all, but the place to begin.
    Cody
    That a well-regulated militia, composed of the body of the people, trained to arms, is the proper, natural, and safe defense of a free state;

Quote Originally Posted by ToddG View Post
    Hello Real World, please meet Purely Competitive Sport.
    I get that is the current reality of the game, but they do attemp, however poorly at times, to add some level realism to it as a "tactical" scenario based game.

Quote Originally Posted by caleb View Post
    The S&W Code of Conduct is the sort of thing that pushes my automatic disobedience buttons, because in the words of my generation: "you're not the boss of me."
    I think this is the underlying reason behind a lot of negative talk....including me. In the end I read the code and see if I can abide by it...and I can.
    Cody

Seems to me that the prior-restraint-on-speech rules are there because IDPA & S&W want lots of good video footage without having to bleep competitors (*cough*Caleb*cough) every 10 seconds. You know, so they can compete with "3-Gun Nation" for eyeballs.

That said, this totally rubs me the wrong way, and like Caleb said, firmly pushes my automatic-disobedience button. And I'm not just saying that because I have to crank up my internal filter to "11" when posting here because I casually deploy profanity the way Picasso used oil paints.
    Looking for a gun blog with AARs, gear reviews, and the occasional random tangent written by a hardcore geek? trevoronthetrigger.wordpress.com/
    Latest post: The Rogers Shooting School Experience (15 Jul 2014)

Quote Originally Posted by TheTrevor View Post
    Seems to me that the prior-restraint-on-speech rules are there because IDPA & S&W want lots of good video footage without having to bleep competitors (*cough*Caleb*cough) every 10 seconds. You know, so they can compete with "3-Gun Nation" for eyeballs.
    Unless you are on the Super Squad the chance of you getting video taped is quite low. I've known matches where shooting media like Shooting USA and all that were there, and not a single minute was filmed of a division champion shooting because someone outside Super Squad won it.

I will say that they had much the same code of conduct thingy for the BUG Match, and that didn't seem to stop anyone from having fun. It's mostly a tool that they can use if they need to eject someone for unruly behavior. Which I've seen!

Quote Originally Posted by cclaxton View Post
    In the end I read the code and see if I can abide by it...and I can.
    Cody
    Can you? Are you a champion for IDPA always? What about when you're talking about things other than shooting sports?

Above, where you describe doing USPSA or training as "going further" sounds reasonable, but not the "best possible light" you could have used to promote IDPA, no?

Speech codes suck. They are vague and unprincipled.

User Tag List