Page 49 of 49 FirstFirst ... 39474849

Thread: Just when you thought that IDPA was done with the stupid ideas...

Use of cover is still judged from the wrong side, aside from arbitrary judging.

Stages do look really fun, but they're just games. I think you're expecting a bit much from it. Swimming at the Y ain't seal training.
    Think for yourself. Question authority.

Quote Originally Posted by orionz06 View Post
    Use of cover is still judged from the wrong side, aside from arbitrary judging.

Stages do look really fun, but they're just games. I think you're expecting a bit much from it. Swimming at the Y ain't seal training.
    We have had this discussion before.
    Under new rules the Scorekeeper is supposed to line-up and make the cover calls, although the Primary SO can as well. But the point of that was to have a separate judge on cover.

The rules on cover are no arbitrary. They are clearly defined in the IDPA rulebook. I am guessing what you really meant was that the SO's judgement on when a person is out of cover is not consistent. In some cases this can be an issue. We are working to fix that by coaching SO's on the rule and making sure they understand why it must be judged consistently. Even then, it's not perfect. Even in USPSA RSO's have to make judgement calls. Like an umpire in baseball, sometimes they call balls strikes and strikes balls. In the end it all averages out as long as they are doing the job to the best of their abilities. That is where coaching comes in. That is one of the reasons I enjoy being the Area Coordinator...I can coach and coach the coaches.

Cody
    That a well-regulated militia, composed of the body of the people, trained to arms, is the proper, natural, and safe defense of a free state;

No, I mean viewing cover from behind isn't effective.
    Think for yourself. Question authority.

Cover calls are why I likely won't be shooting anything above IDPA club matches from now on (two more majors this year). From bay to bay you may have a cover hawk or you may have blatant cover violations not called. The rule itself is straightforward, but it's enforcement is hugely arbitrary.

Again, a game like USPSA, warts and all.

Now I know the USPSA board isn't exactly magical, but I often wonder if IDPA was a "public entity" if there'd be cool improvements and innovations to the sport.
    Semper Gumby, Always Flexible

Quote Originally Posted by Peally View Post
    Cover calls are why I likely won't be shooting anything above IDPA club matches from now on (two more majors this year). From bay to bay you may have a cover hawk or you may have blatant cover violations not called. The rule itself is straightforward, but it's enforcement is hugely arbitrary.

Again, a game like USPSA, warts and all.

Now I know the USPSA board isn't exactly magical, but I often wonder if IDPA was a "public entity" if there'd be cool improvements and innovations to the sport.
    Peally,
    May I ask you to consider that it is actually people like you who should be demanding consistency at IDPA matches, sanctioned or not. MD's need this feedback. Getting consistency within a bay at a sanctioned match is still a step in the right direction. The next step is to make sure it is consistent for every SO. That takes coaching and providing feedback. We need people like you to help...just something to consider.

Thanks,
    Cody
    That a well-regulated militia, composed of the body of the people, trained to arms, is the proper, natural, and safe defense of a free state;

I give people like you huge props for working the sports, and I do send emails once in a while if it's a major match and a blatant issue, but there's still rules that need to be clarified or changed. I've run enough matches and RO'd enough to know it's not what I enjoy (I like to shoot guns, beat people, and bask in the sweet sweet glory) so aside from random feedback I won't be changing the beast from the inside.

I'll keep dumping money into club matches and IDPA memberships since we've got some great guys running fun local matches (same ROs means consistency and I quickly bitch about inconsistent calls), but for majors I'll pinch my pennies for an occasional USPSA match. The rules and resulting frustration get in the way of what I'm personally looking for in a big and pricey pistol match I need to drive 6 hours to make. I started shooting in IDPA and I'll keep doing so simply due to my area but I shoot both sports simply as a skill gauge and something to do on weekends.

Now if IDPA had a grand master class you could classify into... once I hit Master I'm going to be a sad panda, yet now that I've hit A class I feel like I've barely scratched the surface

LOL this thread is still alive.
    "The rocket worked perfectly, except for landing on the wrong planet." - Wernher Von Braun

http://www.teampegleg.com

I clicks what I sees in the "What's New" list

Quote Originally Posted by cclaxton View Post
    By US, I mean the handgun shooting community and industry generally. I have no problem with people providing feedback in a respectful manner. It is the ridiculing and derogatory remarks that don't help. If you want to suggest that IDPA needs to change certain things, then just do that in a positive manner. And, some here have said exactly that IDPA should be avoided and USPSA is the only way. Some here have gone beyond that.

Participants in IDPA are building their skills, supporting the industry by buying products, enjoying the competition, and growing in their knowledge. If they want to go further, they move to USPSA and tactical training classes that are more practical. IDPA doesn't claim to be the be-all and end-all, but the place to begin.
    Cody
    So, you admit that the average IDPA shooter is inferior to the typical USPSA shooter.

User Tag List