Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Reloading while holding flashlight

Quote Originally Posted by ToddG View Post
    This is why I specifically prefer narrow flashlights. I just keep the light in my palm and use my fingers normally for the reload.
    That's what I did when I shot a G21 at Indoor Nats in 2012. Worked pretty well. It's a little more complicated I've discovered with a wheely-gun.

We are diminished
    Quote Originally Posted by caleb View Post
    That's what I did when I shot a G21 at Indoor Nats in 2012. Worked pretty well. It's a little more complicated I've discovered with a wheely-gun.
    And muskets and similar guns from that time period.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

So are we regressing to dark lanterns and sabers ?

Site Supporter
    This is why I specifically prefer narrow flashlights. I just keep the light in my palm and use my fingers normally for the reload.
    I do this, even with 6P sized lights.

And muskets and similar guns from that time period.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk
    Muskets are easy, you just hang the lantern off your bayonet!

Quote Originally Posted by caleb View Post
    Muskets are easy, you just hang the lantern off your bayonet!

You could build a torch off of the end of the bayonet, that would be more stabby-burny when used in a dynamic-combative diminished adverse light CQB operational environment.

When I use big lights I use them the way DB noted, smaller lights the other way. This is primarily due to how such lights are gripped. I assumed (bold of me I know....) that OP wasn't going to be carrying a dual purpose light/head whacker for the IDPA match.

I'll throw out that the armpit thing is easy for me to teach, and one of the two variations works with every light every time, lanyard or not, until you get into stuff like the Sure Fire E1s or the Streamlight Micros.

In free-range, non-GMO, organic, fair trade Broad Ripple, IN
    Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Haggard View Post
    ...dynamic-combative diminished adverse light CQB operational environment.
    *waves hands excitedly* Ooh! Ooh! Bingo!

Books. Bikes. Boomsticks.

I can explain it to you. I can’t understand it for you.

Using Todd's technique with my PD22 is much faster than either pocket or armpit hold.
    Todd's Palm technique for me about 2.5s without much practice.
    Pocket technique for me about 3.5s, and I have been practicing that.
    Armpit technique for me about 3.5s without much practice.

Small flashlight and holding it while reloading is much better. I didn't try tactical with flashlight, but I am sure the palm technique will be faster.
    Thanks for all the great comments on technique.
    Cody
    That a well-regulated militia, composed of the body of the people, trained to arms, is the proper, natural, and safe defense of a free state;

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Haggard View Post
    You could build a torch off of the end of the bayonet, that would be more stabby-burny when used in a dynamic-combative diminished adverse light CQB operational environment.

When I use big lights I use them the way DB noted, smaller lights the other way. This is primarily due to how such lights are gripped. I assumed (bold of me I know....) that OP wasn't going to be carrying a dual purpose light/head whacker for the IDPA match.

I'll throw out that the armpit thing is easy for me to teach, and one of the two variations works with every light every time, lanyard or not, until you get into stuff like the Sure Fire E1s or the Streamlight Micros.
    Correct assumption, Chuck. And, thanks...I can keep that in my armpit for future reference.
    Cody
    That a well-regulated militia, composed of the body of the people, trained to arms, is the proper, natural, and safe defense of a free state;

With small thin lights, or lights that have the Rogers type grip on it like a Gladius or the Sure Fire Z lights, I have found I can often pinch them between my pinky and ring finger and run the reload or malfs with the other two fingers and thumb.

User Tag List