Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Reloading while holding flashlight

Reloading while holding flashlight

As S&W is coming up Feb 20, I am looking for any help with flashlight handling during reloads. IDPA requires the shooter to start with the flashlight in weak hand in OFF position. I will be using my Zenix PD22 200 Lumen flashlight which I can use "cigar-style" two handed shooting. For some targets I may elect "temple-hold." My strong hand is my right hand.

The question is what to do for reloads.
    Option A: Use my concealment pocket to stow the flashlight while I do the reload in the dark. I am pretty capable of doing it in the dark. (OK, no jokes here). Recover flashlight if needed after reload.
    Option B: Try to hold the flashlight during the reload between my fingers. It is kinda difficult to manage this, and I worry about dropping flashlight.
    Option C: Transfer the flashlight to my right hand fingers cigar-style during the reload.
    Option D: Something other than the above?

Any suggestions are appreciated.
    Cody
    That a well-regulated militia, composed of the body of the people, trained to arms, is the proper, natural, and safe defense of a free state;

On first reading the post title I thought "bad idea, you really need to concentrate on a consistent stroke and good primer seating." I do reloads with a light like a tactical load -- shift the light between pinky and ring before accessing the mag. With a 1911 I can do tac loads with a flashlight in hand. Not so much with a Glock.
    Ignore Alien Orders

Bezel into gun side armpit as you bring the gun into your "work space", then reach for reload and proceed as normal, re-grip light before extending gun arm back onto target.

That one has always worked for me except with the smallest of lights.

Chuck,
    I like that method as it is not clothing or gear dependent.

If you use them or are open to the idea the Surefire Combat Ring (or some equivalent) make reloading fairly easy. You just flip the light around on your finger so it's out of the way and reload like normal then flip the light around again to resume.

Can't use those for IDPA is my understanding.

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Haggard View Post
    Bezel into gun side armpit as you bring the gun into your "work space", then reach for reload and proceed as normal, re-grip light before extending gun arm back onto target.

Yup, that.

We are diminished
    This is why I specifically prefer narrow flashlights. I just keep the light in my palm and use my fingers normally for the reload.

Quote Originally Posted by Lomshek View Post
    If you use them or are open to the idea the Surefire Combat Ring (or some equivalent) make reloading fairly easy. You just flip the light around on your finger so it's out of the way and reload like normal then flip the light around again to resume.
    That's one of them "shooting aid" things.
    In a sort of ghastly simplicity we remove the organ and demand the function. We make men without chests and expect of them virtue and enterprise. We laugh at honour and are shocked to find traitors in our midst. We castrate and bid the geldings be fruitful.” ― C.S. Lewis, The Abolition of Man

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Haggard View Post

For large flashlights, like a Streamlight SL 20 I use this.

Quote Originally Posted by ToddG View Post
    This is why I specifically prefer narrow flashlights. I just keep the light in my palm and use my fingers normally for the reload.
    And for smaller flashlights, like a Streamlight Night Fighter or ProTac 2L I use this.

User Tag List