Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: USPSA …… again

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Nesbitt View Post
    The only place I have a chance of National titles is in SSR in IDPA. I have a couple of second places in Master.

People will handle match pressure in different ways. My way is to go into a match with absolutely no expectations to win. I completely ignore scores or times until my match is completely over. I hate to squad with people who tell me what my time is and how fast others shot the stage.

I had a period of about a year where I won over all best score at every local IDPA match I entered. It would have been pretty easy to put pressure on myself to continue the streak. Instead I went into each match with no expectations. I shot my match and let the chips fall.

I'm not sure how I would do if I was in the very top levels where the squad talks about scores and keeps a running track of who is ahead. It would be hard for me to ignore that talk and just shoot my match.
    Would you feel pressure if there was a $25,000 prize for winning first?

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. No View Post
    Absolutely! I'm a big frog in a small pond. I believe that in order to win, you must be able to handle match pressure. In my small way, I have learned how to handle it at local matches. That's also the reason I haven't done better at National matches. There is more on the line at "THE BIG MATCH". I believe I could do better at big matches if I shot more of them.

In free-range, non-GMO, organic, fair trade Broad Ripple, IN
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. No View Post
    Nah, because I know that I have absolutely no realistic chance of winning it, barring, like, a hundred and fifty cases of food poisoning from bad catered lunches or something.
    Books. Bikes. Boomsticks.

I can explain it to you. I can’t understand it for you.

We are diminished
    Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    Bill Rogers believes there is a lot more one hand shooting in real fights, than we practice for. As a dog owner, frequently with a leash in my hand, I completely get this. Leaving aside that you might be injured, or holding something with one hand in a fight, so many of my friends have been injured in life, and forced to carry with just one healthy arm, that I take those skills seriously.
    Is it important to have 1H skills? Yes. But I think the Rogers approach is far more extreme than real world data suggests in terms of training efficiency.

I walk my dog plenty. If I get into a gun fight in the middle of a stroll, the dog's leash is getting dropped. The #1 purpose for 1H shooting for me is that I might have a light in my support hand because I don't personally like any of the complicated 2H light techniques as much as just shooting SHO and running the light WHO independently.

People get shot in the hands doing FOF training all the time and that seems to be the #1 justification I hear for why 1H/wounded shooting is so important and "prevalent." But there are reasons for it happening so much in FOF... most of which revolve around the fact that two trained individuals in two-handed centered shooting stances aiming high COM are basically aiming at the gun and hands of the other guy without intending to. But when you look at actual LE fights, for instance, the number of times a wound to the arm/hand forces someone to shoot 1H are fairly rare. The number of times your opponent(s) are likely to be in a combat stance firing aimed shots at your upper COM are all but zero.

So rare that I'd ignore the possibility? Not at all. But rare enough that I'm more likely to spend a lot less than 50% of my training effort on it.

Quote Originally Posted by Tamara View Post
    Nah, because I know that I have absolutely no realistic chance of winning it, barring, like, a hundred and fifty cases of food poisoning from bad catered lunches or something.
    I was thinking a few cases of Vodka for the pre-match party.

Though my list is a bit smaller.

Site Supporter
    Just looked at the match results from Havasu in January. Min shots for the stages were 36, 29, 34, 43, 10 (classifier).
    Is Havasu a popular retirement destination? I've never seen that many seniors and super seniors in one match. I don't know if you've used them yet, but there are now classifier calculators online so you don't have to wait for the next update to know your percentage. I've only used classifiercalc.com, and it has always been within a few tenths of the correct percentage. The new 13 series classifiers aren't available yet.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk 2

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Nesbitt View Post
    The only place I have a chance of National titles is in SSR in IDPA. I have a couple of second places in Master.
    Sort of related, SSR in IDPA is a scary division. It has the largest number of active DMs and a ton of pretty good Masters as well. At indoor Nats in 2 weeks there will be 3 DMs shooting for Boss Crown.

Quote Originally Posted by joshs View Post
    Is Havasu a popular retirement destination? I've never seen that many seniors and super seniors in one match. I don't know if you've used them yet, but there are now classifier calculators online so you don't have to wait for the next update to know your percentage. I've only used classifiercalc.com, and it has always been within a few tenths of the correct percentage. The new 13 series classifiers aren't available yet.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk 2
    Havasu is a very popular retirement area. I have never seen so many "old guys" that shoot that well. Of course, to my "horror," I realized that this year I qualify as a USPSA "senior."

Where is there a resource that quickly explains for a given stage's hit factor, how to calculate the relationship between time and points, as in what is the delta in time as to where an A or C makes more sense?
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

. Of course, to my "horror," I realized that this year I qualify as a USPSA "senior."
    ?
    That didn't occur to you when you were painting your front sight orange?
    Ignore Alien Orders

Site Supporter
    Where is there a resource that quickly explains for a given stage's hit factor, how to calculate the relationship between time and points, as in what is the delta in time as to where an A or C makes more sense?
    Short version: higher hit factor means shoot faster. Just flip the hit factor from points per second to seconds per point to figure out the time affect of dropping points. However, I see lots of people that give up easy points on high hit factor stages. It's almost never beneficial to shoot anything but As on close range open targets. The time it takes to nearly guarantee an A is very little on these targets. I generally find that the best strategy that works for me is shooting 90-95% of the points available. When I shoot faster, the wheels tend to fall off on at least a few stages, and shooting slower to get more points doesn't result in better hit factor.

User Tag List