Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: USPSA …… again

USPSA …… again

I shot USPSA through the mid 90's, was a Limited A and Open B. Just did a look-up, and my last classifier was 8/11/968 (85.56%, not that it matters).

Fast forward, I shot one USPSA match in the spring, with a friend and PF member. Am in lower 48 for a bit, and have been able to get to some matches. Just renewed my USPSA membership.

It is very interesting. Round counts seem a lot higher than I remember, and to my knowledge I never shot a star, double star or polish plate rack like those featured prominently, and terrifyingly, in my match last month in Arizona. At least in Arizona, old guys with open guns can really shoot! The shooters around Havasu and Kingman, Arizona are super friendly.

Here is what is interesting. Right now, I am a stronger technical shooter than I was in the 90's -- as measuring my draw, reload, and accuracy. On stand and shoot stuff, like classifiers, I can shoot at the top of the pile with the open and limited shooters. However, on the 40-50 shot stages that seem common around here, my stand and shoot skills aren't translating into the same kind of performance. Perhaps part is that I am shooting Production, and reloading so much that I am about to mount a 5th and 6th mag pouch to supplement my 4 on my belt now. I just feel the experienced guys figure out stages faster than me, have better stage strategy, and shoot into and out of position WAY faster than I do now.

I am pretty excited to shoot more matches, to the extent it fits into my schedule. Like attending a course, I really like how shooting someone else's stage, in front of a bunch of people, on a timer with no do over, is stressful in a way that your own practice is not.

I am interested in what others are thinking about how USPSA is augmenting their PF style and/or more timmie training?
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

40-50 shot stages? That isn't USPSA legal.

The last time I shot a club match, I found that the tended to learn toward hoser stages. Often due to shooters wanting to shoot more, and limitations of the range. So I often didn't do as well there, as I did at more major matches where I saw more longer distance and overall harder shots (with hard cover and no shoots).

I've shot a couple of my local clubs USPSA matches but out of those 12 total stages, I think there was only one that was majority hoser. Most had a lot of very tight shots, many out to 15+ yards. But to the OPs point; same experience of technical marksmanship vs time efficient stage planning and raw speed of "movement to contact". It's pretty funny. Through my eyes I'm feeling like I'm flying through them; then when my time is read I'm so much slower than the decent performers its hysterical. A couple vids shot told the tale.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

Quote Originally Posted by PPGMD View Post
    40-50 shot stages? That isn't USPSA legal.
    Other than the classifier stage, each stage has been at or near the USPSA max limit of 30 something, but when you add in the various star, double stars, and polish plate racks -- often on the same stage, I am often shooting 40 plus rounds. What is the exact limit?

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    Other than the classifier stage, each stage has been at or near the USPSA max limit of 30 something, but when you add in the various star, double stars, and polish plate racks -- often on the same stage, I am often shooting 40 plus rounds. What is the exact limit?
    32 shots is the maximum for any course of fire (they have several types of courses of files, but I don't pay attention to those all that much).

Miss less noob?

I'm such an accuracy oriented shooter in USPSA that I will typically only rarely make a make up shot (and even then only on steel), and I still get 90+% of the points. I'm of the belief that unless there was a gross error in your aim, if you have time to evaluate your shot on paper you aren't moving fast enough. With that in mind I only carry four pouches and mostly so I can have more favorable reload points.

My scoring is typical "Two Alpha... Two Alpha..." I almost never meet Charlie Mike.

You will find that most A class shooters can stand and shoot with the GM guys and be off only by fractions. The real difference comes in the field courses. Movement, entries, exits, transitions, etc are all going to be bigger factors in the game often than being able to rip off a .9 draw.

That's a lot of what I concentrated on when I was in FL

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. No View Post
    You will find that most A class shooters can stand and shoot with the GM guys and be off only by fractions. The real difference comes in the field courses. Movement, entries, exits, transitions, etc are all going to be bigger factors in the game often than being able to rip off a .9 draw.

That's a lot of what I concentrated on when I was in FL
    Shooting with Manny, I saw that big time. While I could shoot close to him on an individual shot, as we moved and transitioned he got further and further ahead.

1) Does USPSA, with its movement between positions, and its moving targets, make you a better prepared tactical shooter or just a better USPSA shooter?

2) How much one hand shooting is typical in USPSA? Neither of the last two matches I attended had a single one hand shot. Ever since first attending Rogers, my wife and I have devoted a significant amount of effort to one hand shooting.

3) Do you think match stress continues, and is a helpful stressor, or does it progressively fade as you do it more?

3) Do you think match stress continues, and is a helpful stressor, or does it progressively fade as you do it more?
    It is always there in my experience, but it goes from being a major issue to something really minor.

Quote Originally Posted by PPGMD View Post
    32 shots is the maximum for any course of fire (they have several types of courses of files, but I don't pay attention to those all that much).

Miss less noob?

I'm such an accuracy oriented shooter in USPSA that I will typically only rarely make a make up shot (and even then only on steel), and I still get 90+% of the points. I'm of the belief that unless there was a gross error in your aim, if you have time to evaluate your shot on paper you aren't moving fast enough. With that in mind I only carry four pouches and mostly so I can have more favorable reload points.

My scoring is typical "Two Alpha... Two Alpha..." I almost never meet Charlie Mike.
    Just looked at the match results from Havasu in January. Min shots for the stages were 36, 29, 34, 43, 10 (classifier).

Just looked at the match results from Havasu in January. Min shots for the stages were 36, 29, 34, 43, 10 (classifier).
    Well I checked, the rules do allow club and section/state matches to allow courses of fire over 32 rounds. But my understanding is that like shooting boxes it is discouraged. Which is why I never saw it at the matches I shot/shoot (except the specific high round count Outlaw matches).

1.2.1.3 Long Courses: in Level III or higher matches must not require more than 32 rounds to complete. At any level match, course design and construction must not require more than 8 scoring hits from any single location or view, nor allow a competitor to shoot all targets in the course of fire from any single location or view.

User Tag List