Thread: Parts management and inventory system.

Parts management and inventory system.

Anyone know of a good parts management program or system for a large number of gun parts? Right now we are using an excel spread sheet but this system will certainly fail as we become busier. I’m talking about a half million dollars in parts mostly for the P2000, 870 and M4 with a few other weapons that will be seen on a less frequent basis.

I’m sure there must be something out there that’s in common use so we are not trying to reinvent the wheel.

Quote Originally Posted by 5pins View Post
    Anyone know of a good parts management program or system for a large number of gun parts? Right now we are using an excel spread sheet but this system will certainly fail as we become busier. I’m talking about a half million dollars in parts mostly for the P2000, 870 and M4 with a few other weapons that will be seen on a less frequent basis.

I’m sure there must be something out there that’s in common use so we are not trying to reinvent the wheel.
    I've used Quickbooks to track parts inventory. It works ok if you are using Quickbooks to create invoices and track finances but I wouldn't use it as an independent inventory program. Being able to integrate your inventory program with purchases and sales is a big plus.
    Dave Berryhill

Site Supporter
    What capabilities are you looking for?
    "Inventory management" is pretty generic....

Scanner support?
    Label generation?
    Assembly, sub-assembly, WIP tracking?
    Links to purchasing and sales systems?
    How many concurrent users?
    Etc.

There are a bunch of free windoze apps with premium versions that have various capabilities...
    Stay away from SAP, it's not very friendly (or cheap). LOL
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." - Thomas Jefferson, Virginia Constitution, Draft 1, 1776

Does this need to be an inventory planning tool as well?

Quote Originally Posted by RoyGBiv View Post
    What capabilities are you looking for?
    That’s a good question. I’m not sure.

Right now all the parts are separated into separate storage locations. What I would like to do is print bar codes for each one and when we remove a part we could scan and enter the amount removed and automatically update what’s left. Alert us when a certain amount is left so we can reorder more. I would like it track usage and print reports.
    Sales and purchasing are not a consideration.

Quote Originally Posted by m91196 View Post
    Does this need to be an inventory planning tool as well?
    Yes that would be nice.

User Tag List