Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Proper way to change mags on PTR91?

Proper way to change mags on PTR91?

I know this sounds silly, but bear with me.

I recently got a PTR91 mostly for a range toy, but I figured I might as well be somewhat proficient with it. I'm getting accustomed to most of the quirks of this rifle, but the best way to change mags is somewhat escaping me. My initial assumption was to eject the empty mag, insert new mag, and charge the weapon. The problem is that it seems to take a solid smack on the bottom of the mag to get it to lock in, which makes changing mags clumsy since it's hard to do it in a smooth motion. I've been reading that some people were advocating that before ejecting the empty mag, you should lock the bolt back, then do your mag change. While this does make inserting a loaded mag loads easier it still seems a bit clumsy. Is there a "correct" way to reload this type of rifle?

Either type of reload will work for the G3 type rifle.

My initial assumption was to eject the empty mag, insert new mag, and charge the weapon. The problem is that it seems to take a solid smack on the bottom of the mag to get it to lock in, which makes changing mags clumsy since it's hard to do it in a smooth motion.
    To make this work, download by one or two rounds and go from there.

After shooting my G3 clones for a while, it made me appreciate the simplicity and excellent ergos of Stoner platform.

The PTR91 does not have a bolt hold open, correct?

So using the HK prescribed reload should solve the issue of the mag being hard to insert, right?
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post
    The PTR91 does not have a bolt hold open, correct?

So using the HK prescribed reload should solve the issue of the mag being hard to insert, right?
    It has a notch that the charging handle locks into. A palm strike from that position charges the weapon.

Quote Originally Posted by FredM View Post
    Either type of reload will work for the G3 type rifle.

To make this work, download by one or two rounds and go from there.

After shooting my G3 clones for a while, it made me appreciate the simplicity and excellent ergos of Stoner platform.
    I'll have to try downloading them since I'd like to only have to mess with the charging handle once per reload.

I agree with it making me appreciate my AR rifles in terms of controls more. That said I like this gun more than I thought I would. The sights are pretty nice, the controls are easy to use with winter gloves on, and combined with the collapsing stock it makes a somewhat compact and snag free gun that fits nicely in a pickup or tractor. If only it was lighter and reloads were a bit smoother.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by FredM View Post
    After shooting heavy metal with my HK91, I agree. Made me wish for an AR-10/SR-25 platform for sure . . . or at least a proper paddle mag release.

OP: I was reloading in a similar method to you (and still do to an extent). I'll be following this one to see if I can glean anything from folks who might have a little more experience this platform.

In free-range, non-GMO, organic, fair trade Broad Ripple, IN
    Quote Originally Posted by Skullybones View Post
    A palm strike from that position charges the weapon.
    Yeah, but when I had a former Bundeswehr drill sergeant for a roommate, I got told to cut that out.
    Books. Bikes. Boomsticks.

I can explain it to you. I can’t understand it for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Skullybones View Post
    It has a notch that the charging handle locks into. A palm strike from that position charges the weapon.
    I'm talking about a last-shot hold open, which I believe the PTR91 does not have.

Thus, the reload espoused by HK was to:
    1) Lock the bolt to the rear (thus preventing the closed bolt from impinging on a loaded mag)
    2) Drop the mag
    3) Insert new mag (now able to since the bolt is locked to the rear)
    4) Chamber the round.

So, doing the HK prescribed reload would work around the problem of trying to insert a full mag on a closed bolt.
    Last edited by TGS; 02-08-2014 at 07:42 PM.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

I'm talking about a last-shot hold open, which I believe the PTR91 does not have.

1) Lock the bolt to the rear (thus preventing the closed bolt from impinging on a loaded mag)
    2) Drop the mag
    4) Chamber the round.

So, doing the HK prescribed reload would work around the problem of trying to insert a full mag on a closed bolt.
    Correct. The PTR doesn't have a last shot bolt hold open. If this is what HK recommends I suppose I can give it a go.

At MP-5 Skool the mantra was "Working Parts to the Rear, Mag Off, Mag on, Working Parts forward"

All the cool kids did the HK slap.

If you look around on the internet (By googling "Mp5 Manual") You should find copies of the MP5 manual floating around. I know you have a PTR in 308 and not an MP5 in 9mm but the beauty of all those HK roller lockers is they work exactly the same way.

2) Drop the mag
    4) Chamber the round.

User Tag List