Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: "The Gun Box" Anyone have one yet???

Yep, I think looking at this thing as a "Gun Safe" is not what it is intended for. It is simply a temporary deterrent that allows quick & easy access to the pistol by its intended user. Very similar concept to an electronic/locking rifle rack inside of a police patrol vehicle.

I have had similar debates with my admins @ work because some of them want to mount our rifle racks in the truck vs mounting it in the front passenger compartment because they feel it is more secure and will allow them to leave the rifle mounted in the rack at all times and eliminate the need for them to remove it from the rack and lock it up in a safe when off-duty. Basically they want to make it more difficult for our first responders to be able to access the rifle when they need it by keeping it "Out of Sight, Out of Mind" in exchange for making it less of a hassle for them in-terms of actually securing their rifles in a safe, when the likely-hood of them (Admins) ever being in a position to deploy it is slim to none.

For me, once my pistol comes out of its holster while relaxing around the house and sleeping it will be stored in the Gun Box. All of my other firearms are locked in my 900lb safe. When I leave the house the pistol being stored in the Gun Box either comes with me or gets locked-up in my 900lb safe.

Quote Originally Posted by NickDrak View Post
    Yep, I think looking at this thing as a "Gun Safe" is not what it is intended for. It is simply a temporary deterrent that allows quick & easy access to the pistol by its intended user.

For me, once my pistol comes out of its holster while relaxing around the house and sleeping it will be stored in the Gun Box. All of my other firearms are locked in my 900lb safe. When I leave the house the pistol being stored in the Gun Box either comes with me or gets locked-up in my 900lb safe.

Exactly! I just wish they consulted someone on the size since it should be able to fit a typical full size handgun with a WML and maybe even a holster.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by ToddG View Post
    If the worry with RFID is that it will entice the very kids you're trying to prohibit, I'd suggest RFID isn't the issue.

I'm going to try to snag one for T&E.
    I'll reach out to see what help I might be able to provide on manufacturing.
    Would be interested in more detailed photos if you make any progress with them Todd.

Overall, looks pretty simple to assemble. Some cost involved with making large die-cast (and plastic injection mold) tooling (looks like 3 pieces, including the plastic), but not egregious. Assuming the brains of the thing are housed in the plastic assembled portion, making a larger (or smaller) one should be as simple as casting a larger box, possibly with larger openers, but keeping the same size opening to drop in the same "brain".

As for RFID being easily defeated, when my kids reached an age that they were intelligent enough to defeat the RFID, they were well past the point where they knew better than to mess with dads guns when dad wasn't around. Not even an "aircraft grade" (I love that term, lol) aluminum box is a substitute for parenting.

Looks like a well thought out design to avoid fumbling with keys when something goes bump.
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." - Thomas Jefferson, Virginia Constitution, Draft 1, 1776

No simplex, no care.

Quote Originally Posted by jon volk View Post
    No simplex, no care.
    +1 ...and I want steel, not aluminum alloy. This one from Fort Knox is 22lbs, 10 gauge body with a 3/16" wrap-around top. No one will get into it without serious tools. If I can't open a box under stress, how will I ever be effective with a weapon if I could open it? The one time I had to operate a simplex lock after a "bump" in the night, it wasn't a problem. That doesn't necessarily mean it wouldn't ever be a problem under different circumstances, but I'll take that risk every time against the risk of electronics+battery+easier-to-break-into.

This Hornady safe has similar features to the one from Gun Box.

http://www.hornady.com/store/RAPiD-Safe/
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fswe5sj0FSM

Kent

Quote Originally Posted by Tom_Jones View Post
    I'm guessing Hornady doesn't have an industrial designer on staff.
    LOL, that's what I was thinking. The thing is fugly.
    Kent

This thread comes at a good time for me since my second gun vault quit working recently. My first one lasted me about 12 years without fail being opened and closed daily. The replacement lasted about two. The newer ones are just not the same quality as the original.

The RFID is a neat idea but it’s only as good as any keyed lock, leave the “key” laying around and the best lock in the world is defeated.

Concur with TumblinDown on the Ft Knox lockbox he discussed. We had one bolted to the floor in my office filled with schedule II narcotics. Some burglars attempted to unlawfully access it and/or remove it from the premises. Despite having all night to try to get in using crow bars and hammers, they were unsuccessful, although the box did suffer a bit of damage from the assault...
    Facts matter...Feelings Can Lie

I view this as a car box for locations that I must visit even tho they deny my 2nd Amendment rights.
    Under the rear seat and screwed to the floor.
    Looks like it could be called the iBox!
    How can you govern a country which has two hundred and forty-six varieties of cheese?

Charles de Gaulle

User Tag List