Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: "The Gun Box" Anyone have one yet???

"The Gun Box" Anyone have one yet???

I have been watching the development of this for the past six months or so and it looks like a well designed product.

http://www.thegunbox.com/

Wondering if anyone here has hands-on with one of these yet and what your impressions are so far?

I emailed them to ask if they were coming out with a larger model for full sized guns and weapon mounted lights and never received an email back.

Hmmm, didn't even consider that. Looks like it just might be big enough to fit a G19 with an X300....hopefully.

Quote Originally Posted by Shenaniguns View Post
    I emailed them to ask if they were coming out with a larger model for full sized guns and weapon mounted lights and never received an email back.
    Last edited by NickDrak; 02-06-2014 at 11:25 PM.

Butters, the d*** shooter Byron's Avatar
    Looks cool, but I don't like the fact that it uses RFID in all models. RFID, while very convenient, has serious problems with security.

While I don't anticipate much chance of someone running RFID attacks against my gunbox, I'm not inclined to spend extra money to create that opportunity.

Random trivia - the one time the Mythbusters were shut down by their corporate sponsorship (rather than by their insurance company or their lawyers) was when they tried to demonstrate the insecurity of RFID.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk
    "If you run into an a**hole in the morning, you ran into an a**hole. If you run into a**holes all day, you're the a**hole." - Raylan Givens

Huh. The RFID is the feature I'm most intrigued by.

I always felt that the combination style (Gunvault) required too much "fine motor skill" for an urgent bump in the night. Also, having sweaty hands, I don't really trust the reliability of fingerprint scanners.

For me, the main purpose of a bedside gun box would be to lock it up from children and guests when I'm not wearing the gun.

I would guess that a thief who brought along RFID hacking equipment (whatever that means) would qualify as a determined attacker, and there's not much I could do to prevent that theft anyway, certainly in the portable safe category.

Cheers,
    David

Site Supporter
    David -- Those are my thoughts as well.

Byron -- Were you thinking about this as a permanent handgun safe, or do you think there is the possibility of bad guys hacking the safe during a break in?

I'm ok with the RFID in principle. The purpose of my gun safes is to keep the gun away from my kid. However, every RFID tag other than the one I wear would have to be stored offsite. Kind of makes biometric the best for me.
    Ignore Alien Orders

Butters, the d*** shooter Byron's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JollyGreen View Post
    For me, the main purpose of a bedside gun box would be to lock it up from children and guests when I'm not wearing the gun.

I would guess that a thief who brought along RFID hacking equipment (whatever that means) would qualify as a determined attacker, and there's not much I could do to prevent that theft anyway, certainly in the portable safe category.
    Quote Originally Posted by joshs View Post
    David -- Those are my thoughts as well.

Byron -- Were you thinking about this as a permanent handgun safe, or do you think there is the possibility of bad guys hacking the safe during a break in?
    It actually doesn't really concern me from a theft perspective: I figure most portable safe setups are faster to walk away with than open on the spot, even if they have to be separated from something.

Rather, it's the children thing that pops into my head more. I realize that it's not a concern that people should hold universally, but I grew up with a natural inclination towards bypassing restrictions (whether software, hardware, or anything in-between). We're planning to have kids in the near future, and if they hold even a fraction of my personality, a device like this would be an inviting challenge, rather than a deterrent. My younger self would have especially found this appealing since defeating it would not require any physical damage, nor would the act leave any evidence.

(I should note that if my younger self defeated this box, he wouldn't have even taken the pistol out. The thrill was in the challenge: not in getting the secured item.)

Again, I recognize these are fringe possibilities that most people probably have no reason to consider. Ultimately though, I just don't find the benefits of RFID to be appealing enough to overlook its vulnerability.
    "If you run into an a**hole in the morning, you ran into an a**hole. If you run into a**holes all day, you're the a**hole." - Raylan Givens

We are diminished
    If the worry with RFID is that it will entice the very kids you're trying to prohibit, I'd suggest RFID isn't the issue.

I'm going to try to snag one for T&E.

I looked at it from a usage stand point...
    This would be a nightstand-only security/storage device... it only has my firearm in it while I'm sleeping next to it. When I get up it goes in the holster. If I'm going out and I can't take my firearm with me it goes in the bigger more secure safe. I'd consider it the safer alternative to "sleeping with a gun under my pillow" (name the movie and character for bonus internet points!)
    I've been looking for a 'bump in the night' storage device and am in line with David's comments/concerns as well.
    Rules to live by: 1. Eat meat, 2. Shoot guns, 3. Fire, 4. Gasoline, 5. Make juniors
    TDA: Learn it. Live it. Love it.... Read these: People Management Triggers 1, 2, 3
    If anyone sees a broken image of mine, please PM me.

User Tag List