Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Bulk ammo?

Bulk ammo?

It appears that bulk ammo - meaning, sold in bags of 100 rds - can be less expensive that the same ammo in a 50 rd box. Is there a reason I would NOT want to buy that bulk ammo?

Site Supporter
    What kind of ammo are you buying in bags? IME - That's usually a warning sign, I usually stick with ammo from:

Federal
    Speer
    CCI
    Winchester
    Last edited by JV_; 06-12-2011 at 05:52 PM.

9mm 115. So what brands should be absolutely avoided in bags?

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by oboe View Post
    9mm 115. So what brands should be absolutely avoided in bags?
    There are too many small shops that sell reloads in a bag, especially at gun shows. It's a never ending list.

OK, I'm talking (a) brands whose name we recognize without straining, (b) new loads, not reloads (c) from an online outfit whose nam we know (d) in 9mm 115 (e) in plastic bags of 100 rds.

Site Supporter
    OK, I'm talking (a) brands whose name we recognize without straining, (b) new loads, not reloads (c) from an online outfit whose nam we know (d) in 9mm 115 (e) in plastic bags of 100 rds.
    I'm not aware of any deals on "bagged" ammo from any vendor or manufacturer I would consider.

If you'd like to name the place or provide a link, perhaps you'll get some better feedback.

My question is more generic. I wasn't clear. My question is this - if you would buy a particular brand and load that's sold 50 rds to a box, would the buy the very same ammo if it were sold in plastic bags, 100 rds to a bag?

yeah, sure, as long as you can verify it's the same ammo in the bags.

AFAIK the only reputable vendor with bagged ammo is Georgia Arms. If you find a brand name other than GA in a bag, I wouldn't buy it. Just not worth the risk of a double-charge from some bumpkin in his basement in West Virginia or north Florida all hopped up on meth, PBR and Marlboro reds.

I wouldn't really consider 100 rounds to be buying in bulk, either.

My question is more generic. I wasn't clear. My question is this - if you would buy a particular brand and load that's sold 50 rds to a box, would the buy the very same ammo if it were sold in plastic bags, 100 rds to a bag?
    IF you happen upon this, it's most likely not factory packaging, which means they are reloads, or repacked by a third party for some odd reason. Neither of which are kosher.

That said, I have seen Speer 150 count boxes of JHPs. The boxes were marked "not for duty use". Factory JHP practice ammo in larger than normal quantity.
    Nobody is impressed by what you can't do. -THJ

I consider 1000 rds to be bulk. I was asking about the plastic bags. The stuff is a reputable brand from a reputable on line vendor. I guess I'll just need to weight the risk that the vendor is misrepresenting reloads against the nice price.

User Tag List