Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Zinc-Plated Steel

I've personally shot thousands of MFS' steel-cased 115 grain through my Glock. Aside from the black finger tips you'll get from handling it, I've experienced multiple dead primers (loaded them back into a magazine and restruck it, multiple times), white muzzle flash during low light, and lots of carbon residue in the gun. The stuff is downright dirty. It gives off more smoke than other stuff, too. It's your choice if you want to shell out a some extra for Geco/RUAG, but I have and don't mind the lack of black paws. Having said all that, it works, it's cheap, and since it won't be doing anything more than punching paper or smacking steel, why not? I have not noticed any adverse wear to any of the parts of my firearm (including the chamber) for having used it.

Was wondering if there's any more news on this RUAG zinc-plated steel cased ammo. I'm looking at ordering a case in preparation for my P2000 getting back from Gray Guns. I think it, and I, will be hungry for ammo when it does
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

I'm working my way through another case of it, no problems to date in several thousand rounds.
    I usually buy whatever's cheap from ammunitiontogo.com and this has been the cheapest "in stock" ammo for a while.
    RWS and Aguila are good cheap ammo as well.

Quote Originally Posted by JodyH View Post
    I'm working my way through another case of it, no problems to date in several thousand rounds.
    I usually buy whatever's cheap from ammunitiontogo.com and this has been the cheapest "in stock" ammo for a while.
    RWS and Aguila are good cheap ammo as well.
    I had a bad experience with Aguila as a kid. I think the bullet was greased with old sweat from a fat lady's underboob, and it had some wicked nasty smell when fired. I've got 1450 rounds of AE 147gr left which I really like but isn't in stock. I think I'll try out the RUAG zinc-steel stuff unless my gun range can give me what I want. I'll probably order 2000 rounds for good measure.

Another option which I think is top notch:

http://www.ammunitiontogo.com/advanc...ngq6&x=16&y=18
    AKA: SkyLine1

I've been using this through my BDM. Out of 500 rounds I've had one FTF, apparantly a hard primer. I payed $100 for 500 rounds and fully intend to purchase more.
    Men freely believe that which they desire.
    Julius Caesar

Chewed up 1k with no problems. Great brass to reload with also. I have to get more too.
    AKA: SkyLine1

Please don't take this the wrong way, mucho gracias to the crowd here at P-F for the wealth of knowledge...but I'd rather not see the topic devolve into everyone commenting piecemeal with their favorite range ammo. I started the thread about RUAG zinc-plated steel cased ammo for the reasons specified.

Quote Originally Posted by JodyH View Post
    150 rounds downrange.
    50 through my Glock 19
    100 through my H&K P30

The zinc plating is slicker than snot. This is probably the smoothest loading ammo I've ever used. It does leave a light black dusting on your hands though.

Recoil was consistent and felt up to spec. No weird sights, sounds or smells while shooting. Casings piled up about 5' to my right.

Shooting the Glock 19 with a laser at 8 yards I had 10 rounds in a 1" target dot offhand.
    The H&K put 5 rounds into the 1" dot at 15 yards off the bench.

Good stuff, I placed an order for another 2k rounds a few minutes ago.

Good to know, ordering a case now.
    Think for yourself. Question authority.

Thought I'd add my experience so far having only shot 500 rounds of the RUAG zinc-plated steel.

I went out shooting today and suffered a failure to extract. The case was swelled inside the chamber, but I was able to extract it when I closed the slide on it and firmly yanked it out.

Looks like the zinc-plating doesn't solve the whole expanding/inability to contract issue, unlike brass.

This was the first stoppage my P2000 has suffered in 13,900 rounds fired, with all of that being brass except for the 500 rounds of RUAG zinc-plated steel.

User Tag List