Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: First time purchase (newbee) Glock gen 3 or S & W M&P

You were lied to.

It is astounding that any sane, logical, well informed person would believe any salesperson at a place like Gander Mountain or Cabela's...

Quote Originally Posted by DocGKR View Post
    You were lied to.

It is astounding that any sane, logical, well informed person would believe any salesperson at a place like Gander Mountain or Cabela's...
    Gun shop 'tudes and ill informed salespeople make me look forward to a root canal more than gun shopping.

Quote Originally Posted by DocGKR View Post
    You were lied to.

How am I supposed to know their lying, it's my first time dealing with the purchase of a semi auto pistol from a gun dealer. I had the sense to come here and ask questions.

The salesmen at both shops told me that the Milwaukee Police changed their guns from Glock's to the M&P's. I looked it up and found several articles from the local papers about the police having their guns jam and several articles about an officer that was shot because his gun jammed, then they changed guns. The article is here. They told me the truth about that so I figured the warranty info was correct too, it'll be easy enough to verify, guess I should have.

Quote Originally Posted by Bryan G View Post
    How am I supposed to know their lying, it's my first time dealing with the purchase of a semi auto pistol from a gun dealer. I had the sense to come here and ask questions.

The salesmen at both shops told me that the Milwaukee Police changed their guns from Glock's to the M&P's. I looked it up and found several articles from the local papers about the police having their guns jam and several articles about an officer that was shot because his gun jammed, then they changed guns. The article is here. They told me the truth about that so I figured the warranty info was correct too, it'll be easy enough to verify, guess I should have.
    Think of it this way. Gun store clerks are like car salesmen. They will not always be looking out in your best interest when they try to peddle a particular piece of hardware to you. Long story short, you did good with the M&P. Smith & Wesson does indeed offer a lifetime warranty, so you're covered there. Glock also has a warranty, so the clerk may have been misinformed or was spreading disinformation your way.

I cannot render comment regarding Milwaukee Police changing from _____ to _____, as I don't have enough facts / empirical data regarding same.

Quote Originally Posted by GermanSynergy View Post
    Think of it this way. Gun store clerks are like car salesmen. They will not always be looking out in your best interest when they try to peddle a particular piece of hardware to you. Long story short, you did good with the M&P. Smith & Wesson does indeed offer a lifetime warranty, so you're covered there. Glock also has a warranty, so the clerk may have been misinformed or was spreading disinformation your way.

I cannot render comment regarding Milwaukee Police changing from _____ to _____, as I don't have enough facts / empirical data regarding same.
    The article about the police switching guns was from the Smith & Wesson's web site so I can't say how true it all is, they might exaggerate...

Thank you for your post, I feel better about my decision. Now I'm driving myself nuts wondering if the 9mm was right or should I have gotten the .40??

I gotta stop second guessing.

Be happy with the 9- every time I've bought a .40, I've had painful regrets. Usually the hand pain would go away about an hour after the range session.

Quote Originally Posted by Bryan G View Post
    The article about the police switching guns was from the Smith & Wesson's web site so I can't say how true it all is, they might exaggerate...

Thank you for your post, I feel better about my decision. Now I'm driving myself nuts wondering if the 9mm was right or should I have gotten the .40??

I gotta stop second guessing.
    Look through the blogs archives and read up on Todd's M&P long term endurance test. That will pump you up about your gun! The Milwaukee PD story was widely covered on the gun boards and the basic story as related does seem to be what happened.

I don't prefer them but they're good pistols. Here is a link to the tail end of the M&P test. Work your way to the front.

http://pistol-training.com/archives/...orts/mp-monday
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

Quote Originally Posted by Joe in PNG View Post
    Be happy with the 9- every time I've bought a .40, I've had painful regrets. Usually the hand pain would go away about an hour after the range session.
    That's good to hear, I plan on going to the range a lot. I guess it'll also be less painful on the wallet.

Quote Originally Posted by JHC View Post
    Look through the blogs archives and read up on Todd's M&P long term endurance test. That will pump you up about your gun! The Milwaukee PD story was widely covered on the gun boards and the basic story as related does seem to be what happened.

I don't prefer them but they're good pistols. Here is a link to the tail end of the M&P test. Work your way to the front.

http://pistol-training.com/archives/...orts/mp-monday
    I came across that story while researching the gun and was impressed.

I don't think that people so much lie about things as much as it is a case of personal experience and bias. Endurance test are great, but they really don't tell you much when we are talking about a sample of one. I have personally seen and experienced many more issues with M&Ps than with Glocks. When I say issues, I am talking actual parts breakages and not shooter induced issues.

Quote Originally Posted by ranburr View Post
    I don't think that people so much lie about things as much as it is a case of personal experience and bias. Endurance test are great, but they really don't tell you much when we are talking about a sample of one. I have personally seen and experienced many more issues with M&Ps than with Glocks. When I say issues, I am talking actual parts breakages and not shooter induced issues.
    I've witnessed and experienced the opposite in many large chain stores and gun emporiums. The bovine excrement being propagated on the unwary purchaser quickly reaches "man the bloody rafters, cap'n!" levels...

Example:

"Why yes, this DPMS IS being used by Special Forces in Iraq right now."

"The Taurus Judge is ideal for home defense."
    Last edited by Kyle Reese; 06-16-2011 at 07:45 PM.

User Tag List