Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: First time purchase (newbee) Glock gen 3 or S & W M&P

First time purchase (newbee) Glock gen 3 or S & W M&P

I'm going to make the purchase tomorrow and this will be my only hand gun for many many years.

I've been reading and researching and thought I knew what I wanted, I was going to get a Glock 17 gen4 then someone told me they have ejection problems. This was my preference, I guess it's not a good gun. Then a thread I was reading here said get the Glock 17 gen3, they are solid. There is one at Cabela's for only $4.99, I'll save $100 from the gen 4 and it's more reliable, I guess....
    Then while I as at Cabela's they said I don't want a Glock, they say I should get the Smith & Wesson M&P.
    I like target shooting and the Glock is more accurate, but the M&P fits my hand way better. The Glock feels like a block on wood in my had and the M&P feels like it was made for my hand.
    My brother in law said get the Glock until I told him how the S & W feels then he said it might be better cause it feels better.

Anyway.... I'm confused.

I don't want to regret my purchase, if I get the S&W will I be happy or will I always feel I should have gotten the Glock?? Are Glocks the best?

Quote Originally Posted by Bryan G View Post
    this will be my only hand gun for many many years.
    Find some place local that rents both. Spend more time shooting both. Then purchase after determining which is best for you.

Both are solid guns.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Bryan G View Post
    if I get the S&W will I be happy or will I always feel I should have gotten the Glock??
    You'll probably always have that nagging thought in your head, it won't be squashed until you've owned both.

We are diminished
    Step 1: ignore the people at Cabelas. There's a good chance a spiff is running and they're trying to sell you the gun because they get cash for each one they sell or something like that.

Step 2: Both guns you're considering are GOOD. Neither is PERFECT. As JV said, if you get serious about shooting eventually you own both.

Step 3: Try to spend some time shooting both before deciding.

Step 4: Sign up for an NRA Basic Pistol or NRA Personal Protection class. Get formal safety and gun handling training. Also, odds are you'll find an instructor who has one if not both guns in question.

Step 5: Pick and don't look back. There will always be people who can tell you ten reasons why they'd choose Glock over Smith or vice versa. Plenty of very smart, very accomplished shooters use each.

Quote Originally Posted by ToddG View Post
    Step 1: ignore the people at Cabelas.
    Step 2: Both guns you're considering are GOOD.
    *Answering this question is always tough, but others have offered some pretty sound advice. Hitting a site where there are somewhat vetted members with enough experience to actually make sound assessments and offer advice based on years of actual hands on experience rather than some BS they read in Guns and Ammo, or heard someone else say at another gunstore.

As for the Glock being more accurate than the S&W? When you get to the point where you as a shooter are more accurate than the pistol you are shooting, then you can worry about that. Just for your information.....there are very few people on the planet that can honestly outshoot their guns.

Finally, don't let someone else tell you what you need. Comfort and proper fit are important. As TG said, they are both good guns, and there are world class shooter that shoot each of them. Find the one that fits you, feels good to you, works for you, and don't look back.
    You can get much more of what you want with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.

Murder Machine, Harmless Fuzzball TCinVA's Avatar
    Also note that how something feels in the gunstore isn't necessarily an indication of how it will perform in your hands. If you don't suffer from slide bite with the Glock, then based on the literally tens of thousands of people of all shapes and sizes who manage to use them succsessfully it's safe to say you can probably learn to use it very well.
    3/15/2016

Quote Originally Posted by commandar View Post
    Find some place local that rents both. Spend more time shooting both. Then purchase after determining which is best for you.

Both are solid guns.
    This is good advice.
    -Seconds Count. Misses Don't-

Quote Originally Posted by ToddG View Post
    Step 1: ignore the people at Cabelas. There's a good chance a spiff is running and they're trying to sell you the gun because they get cash for each one they sell or something like that.

Step 2: Both guns you're considering are GOOD. Neither is PERFECT. As JV said, if you get serious about shooting eventually you own both.

Step 3: Try to spend some time shooting both before deciding.

Step 4: Sign up for an NRA Basic Pistol or NRA Personal Protection class. Get formal safety and gun handling training. Also, odds are you'll find an instructor who has one if not both guns in question.

Step 5: Pick and don't look back. There will always be people who can tell you ten reasons why they'd choose Glock over Smith or vice versa. Plenty of very smart, very accomplished shooters use each.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sean M View Post
    *Answering this question is always tough, but others have offered some pretty sound advice. Hitting a site where there are somewhat vetted members with enough experience to actually make sound assessments and offer advice based on years of actual hands on experience rather than some BS they read in Guns and Ammo, or heard someone else say at another gunstore.

As for the Glock being more accurate than the S&W? When you get to the point where you as a shooter are more accurate than the pistol you are shooting, then you can worry about that. Just for your information.....there are very few people on the planet that can honestly outshoot their guns.

Finally, don't let someone else tell you what you need. Comfort and proper fit are important. As TG said, they are both good guns, and there are world class shooter that shoot each of them. Find the one that fits you, feels good to you, works for you, and don't look back.
    From what I gathered from here and other sources the guns are about the same, both have their own ups & downs.

My brother in law said what Sean said and I think it goes a long ways, I like the feel of the M&P so I purchased it today, hopefully I'll have it in 2 days. I have small hands and the Glock just don't fit.

Thanks for the help everyone.

M&P feels great. Beyond that, I can't say anything good about it. I wouldn't have a problem with a Gen3 Glock.

There was one more selling point, I hope I wasn't lied to but from what the salesmen said at Gander Mountain and Cabela's, the Glock has no warranty and the M&P has a lifetime warranty...

When I'm sticking this kind of money into something I want someone to back it up.

User Tag List