Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ruger GP100 3" holster?

Ruger GP100 3" holster?

I have a friend who is a disabled vet. The other day I gave him a ride to his VA appointment and he wanted to stop at the gun store to look for a holster for his 3" GP100 in 357. They had junk, so I piped up and convinced him he would be better off spending a little more (up to like $60-$70 or so) and order something online.

The holster would be for used for owb carry around his woodland property and maybe fishing. Probably open carry. Looking for something in stock ready to ship. I guess it could be leather or kydex. I think he wants comfort and retention over concealment.

He doesn't internet, so I have to make some printouts for him to look through. What holsters do the forum members recommend?

For what he is looking for something from Don Hume should work nicely. An old school pancake type holster such as http://www.donhume.com/index.php?mai...products_id=42 is comfortable to wear, fairly secure, and would be concealable under a coat if he ever decides to do so.

Out of all my 38/357 magnums

I shot the GP100 3inch the best of all .

Even when loaded with USA 110 gr 357magum I could YANK the trigger as fast as I could and still have a tight group at 7yards.
    I mostly used the SWC HP 158gr 38 +P

The grip and its weight was perfect.

I carried it AIWB.

I had a good friend who couldn't afford a quality SD handgun so I sold him my GP100 for 200 bucks.

He later traded it for a el cheapo pistol in 45acp. If I new he would of done that I wouldn't of sold it.

Back in the late '80s I had a Safariland 527 for a Security-Six that worked very well. If a slide-style pancake holster will work for him:

http://holsters.com/concealment/holsters/model527.asp

Thanks for the suggestions, I will pass them along.

http://www.galcogunleather.com/speed..._8_5_1288.html
    Is the Galco Speed Paddle any good (spd192)?

I have never used a paddle holster.

I carry my S&W 686SSR in a DeSantis thumb break basic deal every day for work and like it just fine. It's about the same size as a GP100. I bought mine from midway for about $60 and it serves me well.

ETA: MidwayUSA has a holster finder that's really easy to use, and they have a few holsters available for the Ruger.

Quote Originally Posted by frozentundra View Post
    Thanks for the suggestions, I will pass them along.

http://www.galcogunleather.com/speed..._8_5_1288.html
    Is the Galco Speed Paddle any good (spd192)?

I have never used a paddle holster.
    I bought one of those used for a J-Frame. I think I gave 10 bucks for it and I spent too much. The holster sticks way out from my body and doesn't even begin to conceal and the gun sticks in it no matter how much silicon I sprayed on it.

I have several Comp-Tac paddle holsters and they work quite well.

Comp-Tac doesn't make a holster for the GP100.

I use two holsters for OWB with a GP100. I'll either use the standard Blade-Tech belt holster, or for a bit more concealment I'll use a Galco Combat Master.

Quote Originally Posted by caleb View Post
    Comp-Tac doesn't make a holster for the GP100.

I use two holsters for OWB with a GP100. I'll either use the standard Blade-Tech belt holster, or for a bit more concealment I'll use a Galco Combat Master.
    I looked and saw that after I posted. Either of the holsters Caleb suggested look OK.

The Combat Master makes me feel all 80s awesome.

User Tag List