Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Wobble Area?

Quote Originally Posted by bkent View Post
    Nice writeup, thanks. I had read about the Captains of Crush grip strengthener. I think it was Bob Vogel, recommended starting with a #1 and work to a #3. I bought the #1 and couldn't even close it all the way, so I just purchased the 60 pound. Hopefully that will work better to start. Picked up a gyro ball also.
    Kent
    Taking Bob Vogel's recommendation on which CoC gripper to start with is like asking Jerry Miculek what weight to use for a DA revolver trigger: they're both so far outside the realm of normal strength levels that you can't even see where they're standing from here.

ETA: I've been working the Flex-Bars since Tuesday. I'm shocked at how much improvement they've made in my elbow tendinitis in only ~3 days, and I'll definitely be using them for some of the many other exercises available on the Theraband website. Highly recommended as a means of preventing elbow tendinitis when used in conjunction with other intense training.
    Looking for a gun blog with AARs, gear reviews, and the occasional random tangent written by a hardcore geek? trevoronthetrigger.wordpress.com/
    Latest post: The Rogers Shooting School Experience (15 Jul 2014)

Quote Originally Posted by WIILSHOOT View Post
    I dunno - I like cross fit a lot, but dry fire/wall drill and live fire at progressively smaller targets at greater distances has been quicker.
    Fair enough. I'm going with "and" instead of "or" and it seems to be working.
    Looking for a gun blog with AARs, gear reviews, and the occasional random tangent written by a hardcore geek? trevoronthetrigger.wordpress.com/
    Latest post: The Rogers Shooting School Experience (15 Jul 2014)

If you are going hard with COC grippers, view it like training heavy deadlift, 1 maybe 2 times a week. If 1 time do lighter grip exercises another day during the week.
    I overtrained with the COC grippers in 1993 and it was about 18 months before I healed. Follow the directios Ironmind sends with the grippers or buy one of their books.

Deadlifts snatch grip on a 2" diameter bar will work your hands.

FWIW, I prefer the ergonomics of the Gripmaster Pro. It is a bit bulkier and seems to better replicate a pistol grip size. My other suggestion is to try the grip exercises from different levels of arm extension. I can feel quite a difference in how the muscles in the forearm are worked between a compressed and extended position.

Some rifle shooters dryfire using a weighted rifle (weight tied to the barrel). Something similar with pistol maybe helpful. Other than that, a lot of regular practice (dryfiring groups).

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Rhines View Post
    Anyone do drills or exercises to help reduce the size of their wobble area?
    The longer you hold on target, tensed up, the more wobble there ill be. Decide at what point you WILL shoot. For me, if I pull my weapon, I need to shoot and 99.8% of the time I'll be pulling the trigger immediately. That cuts out most wobble.

The one thing I haven't seen mentioned here, that I know is a factor for me, is limiting stimulant intake, both prior to shooting specifically and in general to prevent under stimulant reactions (jonesing for more coffee when trying to do anything sucks, so drop the overall limit to prevent the need).

Does this suck? Yup, but it'll help and you'll get more of a jolt when you need it.

Quote Originally Posted by Keltyke View Post
    The longer you hold on target, tensed up, the more wobble there ill be. Decide at what point you WILL shoot. For me, if I pull my weapon, I need to shoot and 99.8% of the time I'll be pulling the trigger immediately. That cuts out most wobble.
    No it doesn't. We're not talking about a dynamic critical incident here; but rather how to reduce the amount of shooter induced wobble inherent in pistol shooting. Sure, if we're point shooting at 3 yards wobble doesn't matter, but what about headshots at 20 yards? Low percentage shots? Suddenly it matters quite a bit.

User Tag List