Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Differences between IPSC and USPSA Rulebooks

Quote Originally Posted by joshs View Post
    That's not in the USPSA rule book. The current rule requires the action to be a safety issue for the RM to declare the action forbidden.
    This exact language is in REv 5 of the rulebook. Did it get revised?
    Cody
    That a well-regulated militia, composed of the body of the people, trained to arms, is the proper, natural, and safe defense of a free state;

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by cclaxton View Post
    This exact language is in REv 5 of the rulebook. Did it get revised?
    Cody
    I guess this isn't technically effective until tomorrow, but here is the 2014 language.

3.2.6 In the event that a competitor action contravenes the course
    requirements, and that action creates a safety issue, the Range Master
    must be immediately summoned for a ruling. The Range Master may
    rule that the action is allowed and the competitor’s score will stand.
    Alternatively, the Range Master may require modifications to the course
    of fire, and/or may declare that the action is “forbidden” for safety
    reasons. (See Rule 2.3, including subsections)

I have shot both and like to shoot both. Actually, I don't think anyone would disagree that the scoring system for USPSA is more complicated. There are many who wish USPSA would adopt Time+ scoring like IDPA. And, the equipment rules for USPSA and IPSC seem more complicated and, in some cases, more restrictive than IDPA. (i.e. Production Div).
    The scoring system isn't that complicated, it just isn't something that you can do on a calculator. You take the points that the score and divide by the time to get hit factor. To get the overall standing the person with the highest hit factor for a given division gets 100% of the points from the stage and that is set as the 100% hit factor or high hit factor, everyone below him get a percentage of the points based on what their hit factor is in relation to the HHF. You add up all the points gained from each stage to get the division winner.

So lets say you have a 20 shot stage, that has 100 points available. The person that won the stage got a hit factor of 6, thus he gets 100 points. Lets say someone further down the list got a hit factor of 3, he gets 50 points.

Now as far as equipment rules, in some ways it is more complicated as there are more things allowed, thus they have to place limitations.

But overall the best way to explain it:
    The gun must weigh within 2oz of the declared weight (which are on the NROI list of approved production guns)
    Anything internal that doesn't disable is a safety is allowed (the guide rod is considered internal)

The following external modifications are allowed -
    stippling or other grip enhancements as long as it is within the areas show in the rule book (just the normal grip area)
    Replacing barrel - as long as it matches factor caliber and contour
    Painting the gun - as long as the paint isn't texture to provide additional grip
    Replacing the sights - as long as they are notch and post
    Milling the slide to fit replacement sights
    You may replace other external parts with ones that are approved on other production guns by the same company (for example you can replace a Glock 17s mag release with the extended one from the Glock 34)

So unlike IDPA there is a list of things allowed, they simply have limitations applied to them.

OTOH once I start shooting typically all I have to worry about is safety rules and foot faults (since I can't easily feel them with my right leg).

So, when someone advertises an IPSC match here in the US, is it REALLY a USPSA match? Or, is it REALLY an IPSC match?

I am still struggling to understand the main differences. Seems to me it comes down to two things: Equipment and Targets. I assume scoring is the same?
    thanks,
    Cody
    That a well-regulated militia, composed of the body of the people, trained to arms, is the proper, natural, and safe defense of a free state;

Site Supporter
    So, when someone advertises an IPSC match here in the US, is it REALLY a USPSA match? Or, is it REALLY an IPSC match?

I am still struggling to understand the main differences. Seems to me it comes down to two things: Equipment and Targets. I assume scoring is the same?
    thanks,
    Cody
    Very few clubs in the US run IPSC matches. Mid-Carolina used to run the US IPSC Nationals, but I think they've now been moved to Universal Shooting Academy. From the shooter's perspective, there is very little difference other than the equipment rules and no "metric" targets.

thanks,
    Cody
    Pretty much what joshs said...

I'll add that some clubs still use "ISPC" in their titles since they don't want to change, etc... (McHenry IPSC Shooting Society - since 1982...)

There are some subtle differences on needing to engage/not engage some disappearing targets or not, and additionally, some very subtle production equipment limitations.
    One big difference is that USPSA matches generally have folks walking/looking at stages a day ahead of time. This is a no-no in IPSC where you get a 2 minute limit on stage walk through...

thanks,
    Cody
    One issue is the term "IPSC" is used by some match advertising the way "Karate" is used in the martial arts advertising world. A generic term for an action pistol match. I will leave it to others on the fine details between IPSC and USPSA because to be honest I dont really have a decent handle on it.

Quote Originally Posted by joshs View Post
    Very few clubs in the US run IPSC matches. Mid-Carolina used to run the US IPSC Nationals, but I think they've now been moved to Universal Shooting Academy. From the shooter's perspective, there is very little difference other than the equipment rules and no "metric" targets.
    OK, I think I get it now. I assume an REAL IPSC match is probably held to attract or support international shooters who are more familiar with the IPSC in their home countries?
    Everybody else just kinda inherited the IPSC title but shoot under USPSA rules.
    Did I get it right?
    cody

At the club level, almost always yes. Almost all the IPSC matches are are regional or the nationals.

Targets yes. The BIGGEST difference is that IPSC production is an almost completely stock division and they can load to 15 rounds. IPSC Production is what gives birth to the stock competition guns like the CZ Shadow, and Tanfoglio Stock Series.

OK, I think I get it now. I assume an REAL IPSC match is probably held to attract or support international shooters who are more familiar with the IPSC in their home countries?
    Everybody else just kinda inherited the IPSC title but shoot under USPSA rules.
    Did I get it right?
    cody
    Bingo, boss-man.

User Tag List