Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Differences between IPSC and USPSA Rulebooks

Differences between IPSC and USPSA Rulebooks

Found this great webpage showing the rulebook differences between IPSC and USPSA.
    ...and people complain about IDPA rules????....Gimme a break!

http://www.scribd.com/doc/144970593/...PSC-Rule-Books

Cody
    That a well-regulated militia, composed of the body of the people, trained to arms, is the proper, natural, and safe defense of a free state;

Here's my favorite snippet:
    USPSA: Controversial Competitor Action - In the event that a competitor action contravenes the course requirements, but is not specifically prohibited in the Written Stage Briefing, the Range Master must be immediately summoned for a ruling. The Range Master may rule that the action is allowed and the competitor’s score will stand. Alternatively, the Range Master may require modifications to the course of fire, and/or may declare that the action is “forbidden”.

Talk about subjective.....!!!!
    Cody
    That a well-regulated militia, composed of the body of the people, trained to arms, is the proper, natural, and safe defense of a free state;

Cody take your IDPA hat off for a second, and answer this question honestly. Is there anyone who has shot both an IDPA and USPSA match that thinks the USPSA rules are more complicated and burdensome in terms of how you shoot a match?
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

I've been the MD and RO for both... I've given up on IDPA and have gone completely IPSC and outlaw for our club.
    "For a moment he felt good about this. A moment or two later he felt bad about feeling good about it. Then he felt good about feeling bad about feeling good about it and, satisfied, drove on into the night."
    -- Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy --

Quote Originally Posted by cclaxton View Post
    Here's my favorite snippet:
    USPSA: Controversial Competitor Action - In the event that a competitor action contravenes the course requirements, but is not specifically prohibited in the Written Stage Briefing, the Range Master must be immediately summoned for a ruling. The Range Master may rule that the action is allowed and the competitor’s score will stand. Alternatively, the Range Master may require modifications to the course of fire, and/or may declare that the action is “forbidden”.

Talk about subjective.....!!!!
    Cody
    Its a rule saying "If something is clearly wrong the MD has the authority to change it on the fly"

What's the problem? Have you had a bad experience with this?

I've been at a match where a competitor managed to dart between obstacles that were intended to block you from running through. The MD said no, its a safety hazard as the RO may not be able to follow the competitor, so they altered the stage by stringing up caution tape so you couldn't get through.

Site Supporter
    That's not in the USPSA rule book. The current rule requires the action to be a safety issue for the RM to declare the action forbidden.

Site Supporter
    This thread got me looking at the new 2014 USPSA handgun rules. I'm very surprised to see this change:

"3.3.1: In states where competitors are restricted by law to maximum magazine capacity, that
    maximum capacity will be the maximum allowed for all competitors in the contest. Any
    such limitations must be made known to all competitors by the Match Director/Range
    Master before the start of the match."

We are diminished
    That has to be division-based, no? I cannot imagine them forcing everyone in Open & Lim to shoot 10rd or 7!

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by ToddG View Post
    That has to be division-based, no? I cannot imagine them forcing everyone in Open & Lim to shoot 10rd or 7!
    I think, based on the second sentence, it will be enforced in States with no "grandfather" clause to the state magazine ban. My guess is they don't want to give LEOs in those states a huge advantage in Open and Limited.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    Cody take your IDPA hat off for a second, and answer this question honestly. Is there anyone who has shot both an IDPA and USPSA match that thinks the USPSA rules are more complicated and burdensome in terms of how you shoot a match?
    I have shot both and like to shoot both. Actually, I don't think anyone would disagree that the scoring system for USPSA is more complicated. There are many who wish USPSA would adopt Time+ scoring like IDPA. And, the equipment rules for USPSA and IPSC seem more complicated and, in some cases, more restrictive than IDPA. (i.e. Production Div).

I think where things seem simpler in USPSA is right after the buzzer goes off until the last round is fired. And, I will concede that point. But when it comes to actually comparing the rulesets and rulebooks, I can't believe anyone would think that IDPA has more complicated rules. I concede they are more restrictive in some areas, and that is by design.

BUt this thread was not about IDPA. I honestly want to know the differences between IPSC and USPSA. They are often used interchangeably, but they are obviously not the same.
    Cody

User Tag List