Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: IDPA and Lights???

Thanks, I think I got my answer. My EDC light has nothing hanging off of it save for the easily broken pocket clip. (Are you listening Surefire?) My main "battle light" (Blackhawk! Gladius) has an "O" ring on it.

When I exit a store after sunset, the Gladius is in my hand, with the "O" ring on my support hand index finger. I'm a fan of "O" rings on lights.

I can see the logic now for using a light in a match with no lanyards etc, as that could easily be the only thing available in some instances. I don't see it as a shooting aid though. It's just a retention device. However, I did notice that the IDPA will allow the RO to fire up his or her light if a light is dropped during a stage to help the shooter find the dropped light. I don't know if that kind of assistance can be expected IRL though. I suspect though that's a nod to practicality to keep the match moving as well as safety.

I understand rules are rules. It's nice to know the reasoning behind them is all. I guess I'd better start practicing w/o the "O" ring thing.
    In a sort of ghastly simplicity we remove the organ and demand the function. We make men without chests and expect of them virtue and enterprise. We laugh at honour and are shocked to find traitors in our midst. We castrate and bid the geldings be fruitful.” ― C.S. Lewis, The Abolition of Man

My view is, when faced with a choice between more rules or less rules, the decision to have the least rules possible while maintaining the spirit of the organization is preferable. Inordinate amounts of time can be consumed trying to make new rules, and almost nobody likes being subject to them. History confirms this, whether it be the birth of our country, decisions by states on what you can and can not have, company rules, games such as IDPA, or even forums.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by ToddG View Post
    The "proving ground for gear" thing is a matter of opinion. It's a balance and IDPA leans one way, USPSA Open leans the opposite. IDPA isn't trying to break new ground. It's trying to be a playing field for accepted gear. If you want to experiment, it's the wrong game.
    I would say that the lanyard is fairly well accepted gear. Surefire sends out the paracord to attach it to most of the non-low end lights. For those that threw them away at IDPA nationals I could probably set up a booth selling lanyard kits (including a lanyard ring for the lights without the loop built in) for $10 and a half descent profit.

The lanyard light ban is one of the stupidest ban that they could've done.

Now I understand WHY they did it. The purpose built ring lights like the Tomahawk are much easier to shoot with. But lanyards aren't about shooting they are about retaining the light while reloading and doing other tasks. But rather than trying to figure out a way to ban these lights that were legitimately causing gamers to reconsider their Surefires, they decide to ban everything. At the very least the rule needs to be revised to allow paracord lanyards.

We are diminished
    I only meant "proving ground" in the broad sense. In fact, agreeing with what you said, I wouldn't call the normal lanyard for the rings something that is being proven... it's well proved and established. The Tomahawk was an altogether different thing and really did hit IDPA square in the face: the benefit made it worth buying one just for the game under some circumstances.

Quote Originally Posted by cclaxton View Post
    Well, I don't think the flashlight rules are dumb or silly. I don't think the reasons I stated are dumb or silly, although they are based on my speculation resulting from the rules themselves. I think the more valid criticisms are that they are too restrictive to allow for personal preference or don't make enough of a difference in competition to matter. Professionals who have been involved in IDPA and USPSA and pistol shooting for decades together made these decisions. Until I can prove otherwise I am going to take the rules at face value. You are entitled to disagree, but don't you think it would be more useful to talk about the most effective ways to shoot with a flashlight without gadgets rather than complaining about the rules?
    Cody
    Sorry they are idiots

I could go on a long winded talk about weapons mounted lights - and the VAST increases in hit probability and decreased times to find, fix, and ID a target with a WML, but they are not allowed in IDPA

I've long ago given up on gun games as any realistic setup --- I have issued with KSTG too, but I accept that I just get not scored with others for running my WML

I simply WTF IDPA for its handheld rules -- who gives a crap what you have on your flashlight -- its is concealable...
    Kevin S. Boland
    Director of R&D
    Law Tactical LLC
    www.lawtactical.com
    kevin@lawtactical.com
    407-451-4544

We are diminished
    So the WML is a great example of conflict between priorities:

• Do plenty of people use them? Sure. But as a percentage of real CCW guns it's ridiculously small.
    • They add significantly to the cost of the gun and if there's an advantage as you say, then it becomes pretty much a requirement.
    • The add weight to the front of the gun so even when they're not being used for anything else, they provide a shooting advantage and again become a requirement to be on an even field.

I shoot my M&P faster and definitely draw faster without it.

I simply accept the ID benefits -- plus I am required to carry a WML.
    Kevin S. Boland
    Director of R&D
    Law Tactical LLC
    www.lawtactical.com
    kevin@lawtactical.com
    407-451-4544

I could go on a long-winded rant about how I don't want a WML for my CCW

I think in low light matches there should be some sort of side-category for WML though. I also agree that wrist lanyards should be allowed. Although I could give 2 kittens about IDPA rules (either real kittens or euphemistic p-f kittens - your choice)

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Rhines View Post
    primitivist
    Not directly related to all of this, but I'm using THAT term the next time I have occasion to try to describe the differences between minimalist (sensible, capable) and minimalist (stupid, cheap).

Quote Originally Posted by JeffJ View Post
    I could go on a long-winded rant about how I don't want a WML for my CCW
    But I could articulate my rationale based on year of experience

I think in low light matches there should be some sort of side-category for WML though. I also agree that wrist lanyards should be allowed. Although I could give 2 kittens about IDPA rules (either real kittens or euphemistic p-f kittens - your choice)
    Why run different setups?

I'm fine with a different class - if it makes folks feel better -- I carry my pistol with WML on it near 24/7/365 in an IWB holster - with the exception of when its in a duty holster, but still has WML on it...
    Last edited by KevinB; 01-30-2014 at 12:35 PM.
    Kevin S. Boland
    Director of R&D
    Law Tactical LLC
    www.lawtactical.com
    kevin@lawtactical.com
    407-451-4544

User Tag List