Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: IDPA and Lights???

Quote Originally Posted by orionz06 View Post
    Honestly, yes. In all games. A majority of the rules would be fine but why not debate the sketchy ones that don't accomplish anything?

My best guess as to the reason why it may be a disallowed item is one can potentially shoot better with a lanyard depending on their chosen position.

If they didn't want an equipment race we would all shoot the same gun in each class and guns with advantages over a HiPoint would not be allowed.
    Nobody is telling you which flashlight to buy.
    Cody
    That a well-regulated militia, composed of the body of the people, trained to arms, is the proper, natural, and safe defense of a free state;

Quote Originally Posted by YVK View Post
    Agree.
    Again, contrived regulations. It is an equipment race anyway. Lumens, shapes, sizes all are used for an advantage.
    None of those features will make any significant difference. The biggest factor is how to grip the flashlight and how quickly you can aim and shoot accurately...the fundamental competitive feature of the sport.
    Quote Originally Posted by YVK View Post
    IDPA can't seem to understand that less restrictions and regulations is actually better. Set up a max size so it is a reasonably concealable and just let people shoot. Let people do what they want. Maybe somebody will find a new way or something. People keep saying how many practical techniques and methods came out of competition. IDPA is doing its best that doesn't happen again.
    Actually, I think it is you who doesn't understand that rules matter. Using that logic we shouldn't require cover, concealment, or any other defensive features...wait...there is a sport for that....it's called USPSA. So, IDPA is different. Some like Mexican food, some like Italian. I happen to like both.
    Cody
    That a well-regulated militia, composed of the body of the people, trained to arms, is the proper, natural, and safe defense of a free state;

Actually, the do. There is a reason why I carry an HDS light over my previous Surefire. Smaller, easier to grip, better flood, and even peripheral light hit gives good illumination unlike with an older light.

There is a big difference between good rules and bad rules. The former promote and protect the sport, the latter suffocate it. Clamping down on more efficient ways of using lights in the name of race nonproliferation is pretty dumb, imo.
    Last edited by YVK; 01-30-2014 at 12:36 AM.

Rules do matter but rules can be good, dumb, and silly.
    Think for yourself. Question authority.

Quote Originally Posted by orionz06 View Post
    Rules do matter but rules can be good, dumb, and silly.
    Well, I don't think the flashlight rules are dumb or silly. I don't think the reasons I stated are dumb or silly, although they are based on my speculation resulting from the rules themselves. I think the more valid criticisms are that they are too restrictive to allow for personal preference or don't make enough of a difference in competition to matter. Professionals who have been involved in IDPA and USPSA and pistol shooting for decades together made these decisions. Until I can prove otherwise I am going to take the rules at face value. You are entitled to disagree, but don't you think it would be more useful to talk about the most effective ways to shoot with a flashlight without gadgets rather than complaining about the rules?
    Cody

Quote Originally Posted by cclaxton View Post
    Nobody is telling you which flashlight to buy.
    Cody
    No one said that?

snip...but don't you think it would be more useful to talk about the most effective ways to shoot with a flashlight without gadgets rather than complaining about the rules?
    Cody
    Perhaps except the OP asked a question regarding the reasons for the rules and not about flashlight techniques, no?

Why does IDPA prohibit the use of lanyards, rings etc, on flashlights during a match? Surely their use can't be considered "not in the spirit of the game?" I would think they would encourage their use.

We are diminished
    You are entitled to disagree, but don't you think it would be more useful to talk about the most effective ways to shoot with a flashlight without gadgets rather than complaining about the rules?
    Why is "the most effective way without gadgets" a valid qualifier? We're not talking about race gear, we're talking about true common practical gear used by tons of CCWers, cops, and soldiers every day for real.

Any rule that is sacrosanct from question or criticism needs the most scrutiny, not the least.

Quote Originally Posted by ToddG View Post
    Any rule that is sacrosanct from question or criticism needs the most scrutiny, not the least.
    QFT.

IDPA, as an organization, suffers from two major institutional problems. The almost primitivist attitude towards equipment is one of them. There is a lot to be gained from using competition as a proving ground for better gear, but the IDPA rules forbid that kind of innovation.

I don't like it.
    -C

My blog: The Way of the Multigun

We are diminished
    The "proving ground for gear" thing is a matter of opinion. It's a balance and IDPA leans one way, USPSA Open leans the opposite. IDPA isn't trying to break new ground. It's trying to be a playing field for accepted gear. If you want to experiment, it's the wrong game.

User Tag List