Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Range Session Volume

200-300 is the most I have time for during a typical practice session. As noted by others, training days have much higher round counts.

Quote Originally Posted by DocGKR View Post
    200-300 is the most I have time for during a typical practice session. As noted by others, training days have much higher round counts.

My limit is 300. Sometimes it's less than that depending on what I'm trying to accomplish at that point.

Past 300, shooter fatigue becomes too great and I've crossed the point of diminishing returns. I'd be pretty much just throwing bullets away with anything more than that.

I usually shoot 100 to 150 rounds per session. My biggest limiting factor is time. I work two jobs and stop at an indoor range a couple times a week when I leave one job to go to the other. My other limiting factor is my ammo budget. Switching from .45 to 9mm has really helped with that. Because of the limited time, each range session is devoted to working on a particular skill. I normally start with 2 or 3 FAST drills cold. Then if I am working on speed I will do some acceleration drills, bill drills, etc. I try to throw in some reload drills as well. I finish with around 10 rounds of slow fire, precision shooting. I really like the Press 6 drill for a practice session as it works well for both accuracy and pushing my speed, but I mainly consider it an accuracy drill.

I record all my splits for my FAST runs on a spreadsheet to track my progress. I shoot Tom Jones’ Bullseye 1000 and Dot Torture both about once every 6-8 weeks and record those scores to check progress as well. I don’t get nearly as much range time as I would like, but I try to make it quality time. I also dry fire 3 to 5 evenings a week. Those are usually about 15 minute sessions.

My budget for live fire training time/ammo is about 100 rounds per week. I can usually go thru that much in about 45 min's or less inclusive of setup and cleanup time. I usually do the drill of the week, 48 Drill (basically 1/2 a 99 Drill), Some Dot torture, or other time constrained drills saving 10 rounds for an 25 yard accuracy/fundamentals drill at the very end.

I've been wondering if changing it up to 200 rounds per session every other week would be more conductive to improvement. I'm usually able to get in approx 3 - 1/2 hour or so dry fire sessions per week as well.

Any thoughts?
    Scott
    Only Hits Count - The Faster the Hit the more it Counts!!!!!!; DELIVER THE SHOT!
    Stephen Hillier - "An amateur practices until he can do it right, a professional practices until he can't do it wrong."

We are diminished
    Either way, I'd ditch the static program and try to make the lion's share of each 100rd focused on a limited number of skills. For example, one of the great benefits of the 99 Drill is that you are actually getting in practice by doing things a lot: 33 press outs, 10 reloads, etc. Chopping it down means you're diluting your practice of all those skills. Instead of getting in a little bit of practice on A through F each week, I'd put 80% of my effort into topic A one week, topic B the next, and so on.

Thanks for the feed back.

Actually the program isn't static. Other than doing the Drill of the Week and the 10 rounds at the end to refocus the fundamentals I change up the drills from week to week. What I laid out wasn't what I do every week but example of drills I do. I cut the 99 drill in half so that there was ammo budgeted for DOTW and the 10 rounds at the end. Basically I'm working on accuracy at speed, draws & reloads, so what ever drill I choose for that week encompasses those aspects. Accuracy has never been my problem, breaking that Q course par time mental block after so many years has at times been problematic.
    Scott
    Only Hits Count - The Faster the Hit the more it Counts!!!!!!; DELIVER THE SHOT!
    Stephen Hillier - "An amateur practices until he can do it right, a professional practices until he can't do it wrong."

User Tag List