Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Range Session Volume

100 rounds a week, it would be more if I could afford it.

normally for me is about 350 for a practice. In the last month I've been pushing it hard at practice and aiming for 750-1000 each trip. As soon as I start to see my results drop I change it up or take a break to clean up brass, get a drink or something. 4000 rounds a week a few times and I'm noticing my hands are getting sore. Especially my right hand wrist and thumb. I'm backing off now to let it recuperate before the world shoot. I probably will only shoot 100 rounds the week before I go, and then dry fire a lot in the week before we actually shoot.
    wrist and thumb. I'm backing off now to let it recuperate before the world shoot. I probably will only shoot 100 rounds the week before I go, and then dry fire a lot in the week before we actually shoot.
    ...and to think today you just have fangs

Rob Engh
    BC, Canada

300 to 1200 per session.

I seem to recall my Glock 17 getting so hot the water would sizzle on the slide in the rain.

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Kyle Reese; 09-13-2011 at 12:41 PM.

In free-range, non-GMO, organic, fair trade Broad Ripple, IN
    As a starving artist, it's usually 50-100 of centerfire and 200+ of deuce-deuce/week. About 1/4 revolver and 3/4 1911-platform.

(And I cheat costs a little more by doing most of my centerfire 1911 work through a 9mm Painted Ordnance LTC; the alloy 9mm Commander jumps around about as much as a steel full-size .45.)
    Books. Bikes. Boomsticks.

I can explain it to you. I can’t understand it for you.

Usually somewhere between 150 (if it's a Kahr day) and 300 (.38S LWC or .45 GM). I try to start with something dynamic (e.g., draw from an awkward position and fire on multiple targets while retreating diagonally to cover, ending with two precise head shots) and see what I'm doing particularly badly that day. Whatever's the worstest -- drawing, shooting while moving, transitions, or precise shooting -- gets the first fifty, and if I'm happy with progress I move on to the second. Kind of a pareto approach. It depends a lot on that day's carry mode and physical state, I find.

Or, if I'm at the indoor range, I stand there and work on trigger press and sight alignment.
    Ignore Alien Orders

Generally, 100-120 with 9 mm. Part of it is a preference for regular (weekly, if I can - twice a week) practices with lower volume vs. spread out sessions with higher volume. Then almost all of my practice sessions involve marksmanship drills, and I get tired. Second priority is first shot and reload, and these are low round count drills with multiple reps. Third priority is one-handed shooting and, again, I get tired.

When I switch to 45, my round count goes up, usually 200 per session. Couldn't figure it out first, then realized that firearm control becomes a priority and I end up running more strings-of-fire drills like circle drill etc.

With the little time I have right now (Family, work, etc...) I try to get at least 300 rounds per session. I am going to start reloading soon and I am hoping that will increase the round count to more like 700-800 per session. I would love to take a class or 2 but time constraints have forced that idea to the future.

Lately I've focused in on drills more. My max is about 150 centerfire. I shoot alone, so taking some time to analyze and record what I'm doing and how I'm doing slows me down.

We are diminished
    Last night I fired 400 rounds.

• F.A.S.T. cold, three times
    • 2 shots to 3x5 at 7yd in 1.8s, ~20 times
    • 2 shots to 2" at 7yd in 2s, 45 times
    • 1-R-2, 50 times
    • Max hits in 2s at 7yd, ~20 times
    • "Sweet Sixteen" marksmanship test

sweet spot for me seems to be about 200-300 rounds.
    If you want a vision of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face - forever. -George Orwell

User Tag List