Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Toning down rear tritium sights

Toning down rear tritium sights

Lots of folks will use a Sharpie on the rear dots to tone down how bright the rear tritium dots are on night sights, this can often lead to the dots being invisible, or nearly so. I have found that the red Sharpie works much more gooder for this job.
    Allows some of the glow through without being too bright, cheap, easy to re-do as needed, durable and stays put, and easier than ordering yellow or other colored rear tritium sights.

When forced to use a standard set of sights with white outlines around the dots, such as Mepros, I will use black Sharpie on the rear rings to get rid of the white outline, then red on the tritium itself to tone down the glow when in the dark. I find this makes a much more usable set up than blacking the whole rear sight out.

As always, YMMV

I've had good luck with the thin black sharpie but this is a much better idea. I will have to try the red in the future.

The up side if it doesn't work? I quick wipe with a alcohol pad or a patch with some solvent and it's gone. Cheap and easy to try.

Thank you Chuck, I was trying to figure out a way to tone down the rear sight of my trijicon HDs. This sounds like a good solution.

Excellent. Thank you.

The red works awesomely on the rear lamps of the HDs of my duty weapon.
    I also used it on the rear yellow lamps of the pro-operators on my personal G23. It tones down the glow a lot, but the lamps are not very well recessed, so the sharpie rubs off pretty quickly. I've quit bothering.

I am going to do this with any other gun I have which only has the option of legacy night sights.

Thanks again for the gouge on this, Chuck!

I love the red sharpie trick, read about it first here on PF awhile back. I do one additional step. I break the point off a tooth pick, dip it in solvent then touch and turn a bit directly over the rear tubes (not the outlines). This thins the coating just a bit and allows tuning how much rear glow you want. Works great with SIG factory night sights.

Ken

You can also use the tip of a toothpick like you would a pencil eraser and make a slight "cat eye" in the Sharpie coating. If you want to let a bit more light through.

Thanks for posting this, Chuck! Just tried it, and it works like a charm. I really dig the red look the dots have in light, too. They pair up nice with my orange front sight -- not at all distracting and they come across as 'synced' up.

Glad to hear that is working for folks.

User Tag List