Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: FBI Report on Active Shooter Incidents, Analysis and Recommendations

FBI Report on Active Shooter Incidents, Analysis and Recommendations

FBI Report on Active Shooter Incidents.
    Notable Excerpt #1:
    Also important are the actions that civilians take to protect themselves during the 3 or more minutes that it takes the police to arrive. Civilians need to be trained about what to do if one of these attacks occurs. A variety of resources are available at no cost. Federal agencies, including both the FBI and the Department of Homeland Security, Federal Emergency Management Agency, endorse the use of the teaching technique of Run, Hide, Fight to explain to civilians how they can protect themselves and others around them.[8] Police departments and the communities they serve should work together to implement this training.
    Notable Excerpt #2:
    It also is worth noting that in the five largest-casualty events (Northern Illinois University in DeKalb; Sandy Hook Elementary School; Fort Hood Army Base, Killeen, Texas; Virginia Polytechnic and State University in Blacksburg; and the Century 21 Theater) the police were on scene in about 3 minutes; yet, a substantial number of people still were shot and injured or killed.
    Notable Excerpt #3:
    Of the cases that ended before the police arrived, 67 percent (34) ended with attackers stopping themselves via suicide (29 cases) or by leaving the scene (5 cases). In the other 33 percent (17) of the cases that ended before the police arrived, the potential victims at the scene stopped the shooter themselves. Most commonly they physically subdued the attacker (14 cases), but 3 cases involved people at the scene shooting the perpetrator to end the attack.

http://leb.fbi.gov/2014/january/acti...m-2000-to-2012

Interesting findings:
    98 incidents involved less than 11 or less victims, with the most involving 2 victims. 12 incidents involved more than 11 victims.
    REport recommended use of patrol rifles to stop the attack over pistols;
    Report recommended officers be thoroughly trained at rendering medical assistance to the victims;
    As noted, recommended that civilians be trained how to react;
    Only 18 percent of the incidents occurred outdoors;
    Kinda alarming to see 29% occurred at schools.

Cody
    That a well-regulated militia, composed of the body of the people, trained to arms, is the proper, natural, and safe defense of a free state;

Missing stat: how many of the shooters self-terminated when:
    (A) confronted by armed resistance, eg a CCW citizen
    (B) hearing sirens or other signs of impending active response

ETA: I'd also like to know how many attacks occurred in some form of gun-free zone. (I know the rough answer to this, but it's always nice to have an authoritative report that spells it out for the ignorant.)
    Looking for a gun blog with AARs, gear reviews, and the occasional random tangent written by a hardcore geek? trevoronthetrigger.wordpress.com/
    Latest post: The Rogers Shooting School Experience (15 Jul 2014)

These are the things I plan to change for this year:
    - Shoot all the indoor and low-light matches I can;
    - Learn Run-Hide-Fight so I can direct others in a crisis and understand how others may react;
    - Take a Gun-Grab course;
    - Practice longer distances (like 50-75 feet)...I can't carry a patrol rifle;
    - Practice Shoot/No-Shoot scenarios in dry fire;
    - Get better at drawing and reacting quickly;
    - As match director, design stages appropriate for indoor threats.

Cody
    That a well-regulated militia, composed of the body of the people, trained to arms, is the proper, natural, and safe defense of a free state;

THE THIRST MUTILATOR Nephrology's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by cclaxton View Post
    These are the things I plan to change for this year:
    - Shoot all the indoor and low-light matches I can;
    - Learn Run-Hide-Fight so I can direct others in a crisis and understand how others may react;
    - Take a Gun-Grab course;
    - Practice longer distances (like 50-75 feet)...I can't carry a patrol rifle;
    - Practice Shoot/No-Shoot scenarios in dry fire;
    - Get better at drawing and reacting quickly;
    - As match director, design stages appropriate for indoor threats.

Cody
    A gun grab...course?

Quote Originally Posted by Nephrology View Post
    A gun grab...course?
    Sorry, poor choice of words. Gun disarm training.
    Cody

Sorry, poor choice of words. Gun disarm training.
    Cody
    I think that you want a South Narc ECQC class.
    #RESIST

Virtually every such active-murder scenario occurs in a victim disarmament zone. Malls, schools, workplaces with zero weapons policies, etc.

Standard patrol "rapid response" to a shooter needs to happen, but the truth is that even this can only result in fewer casualties and give the shooter less room and time to work. IT can in no way result in zero casualties.

Most shooters when confronted either kill themselves, get killed, or quit. Historically very, very few are looking for a fight of any kind. This is why they need to be confronted as quickly as possible, when hit with tactical pressure they tend to fold up.

I wrote this one for Rich Grassi to put on the Tac wire;
    http://www.thetacticalwire.com/featu...featureID=3593

The only thing that has changed since I write that one is a few more incidents and adding to the data. The trends have stayed the same.

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Haggard View Post
    Most shooters when confronted either kill themselves, get killed, or quit. Historically very, very few are looking for a fight of any kind. This is why they need to be confronted as quickly as possible, when hit with tactical pressure they tend to fold up.
    That is such an important point. This should be a part of the citizen training so citizens can understand the consequences of taking no action to stop them. That will likely result in more victims.
    Cody
    Dentist just out of school.

That is such an important point. This should be a part of the citizen training so citizens can understand the consequences of taking no action to stop them. That will likely result in more victims.
    Cody
    Dentist just out of school.
    And how can we realistically accomplish that?

Reports from the Purdue incident show that when the alert went out of a shooter on campus, most professors ignored the warning.How can we teach college professors and staff to interdict an armed killer when those same people reject the very concept of self defense ?

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by GardoneVT View Post
    How can we teach college professors and staff to interdict an armed killer
    Why are you specifically excluding the students?

User Tag List