Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Dual Illuminated RMR (green triangle) on a handgun?

Dual Illuminated RMR (green triangle) on a handgun?

Has anyone tried the Trijicon RMR dual illuminated 12.9 MOA green triangle optic on their handgun? How did it perform for you? I am thinking of jumping into the "RMR on a Glock" game and like the idea of an RMR without a battery. I would use it with suppressor height night sights.

I do not like the triangle in any color and strongly prefer a dot, increasingly one of the smaller dots. We have found the self-illuminated RMR's, including the RMR08A, to wash out in certain lighting conditions, especially indoors when using flashlights or weapon mounted lights. As a result, we now tend to prefer the RMR06 for most uses, including SMG, 12 ga, rifle, and pistol, although I still have a lot of the original, old, proven RMR02's on my personal carry pistols.
    Facts matter...Feelings Can Lie

I have a RMR05 dual illuminated and RMR02 LED.

I agree with DOC that the triangle isn't an ideal reticle; however I haven't noticed any difference in washout between the two. With a TLR1 both disappear at night.

Hence the advantage of an RDS with an adjustable intensity reticle, like the RMR06, RMR07, or a micro-Aimpoint for those conditions...

Nonetheless, even the non-adjustable RMR's, like the RMR02, have worked better in all lighting conditions than the self-illuminated RMR's in our use.

Quote Originally Posted by DocGKR View Post
    Hence the advantage of an RDS with an adjustable intensity reticle, like the RMR06, RMR07, or a micro-Aimpoint for those conditions...

Nonetheless, even the non-adjustable RMR's, like the RMR02, have worked better in all lighting conditions than the self-illuminated RMR's in our use.
    Here is the plan: mount Trijicon Bright & Tough suppressor height night sights and either the dual-illuminated triangle or the variable red dot. I really like the idea of the dual illum, but I have yet to handle one (making the decision impossible until I find one).

If both disappear due to a flashlight, then how well does it perform when using the splash? Does it the dual illuminated sight wash out in direct sunlight? I do not mind so much if it washes out due to the weapon light since the iron sights will be perfectly outlined.

The adjustable electronic RMR's do NOT wash out, as you can turn up the dot intensity.

I used the dual illuminated RMR for a short time and I will reiterate what Doc is saying about washout. Unlike ACOG’s, there is no etched reticle, so if it washes out it’s gone.

Without wanting to sound dumber than normal. How is adjustable intensity of any value in something as reactive as a pistol fight?
    Welcome to Africa, bring a hardhat.

You can adjust it for the prevailing lighting in your AO, prior to an event--kind of like wearing different outer garments depending on the environment you are in.

Thinking through an average day I can't really see that working for me and my CCW. Without lots of gun handling in strange places. Not like donning it doffing a coat.
    Welcome to Africa, bring a hardhat.

User Tag List