Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Another Year, Another Eyepro Thread...

Another Year, Another Eyepro Thread...

So my last set of prescription shooting glasses was recently trashed by a marauding FN-FAL Para. I wasn't 100% delighted with my Decot Revels, so I thought I'd ask around a bit.

I'm looking for a set of Rx-compatible frames with good side protection, and earpieces that are low-profile enough to fit comfortably under my ear defenders.

They have to be direct Rx, I really don't want to use Rx inserts. They need interchangeable lenses, or else need to be cheap enough that I can spring for three pairs in different tints.

It would be nice if they were fashionable enough to double as ordinary sunglasses.

Oakley and Rudy Project are on my kitten-list. Anyone else I should look at?

Thanks!
    -C

My blog: The Way of the Multigun

I love my Rudy Projects, though mine are perscription with transition lenses (with extra active transitioning - basically, there is always *some* tint, but they also work while driving better than normal and tinted fully appear as normal sunglasses).

Benefit for me was, I got to use my vision coverage through work as the insurance covered the frames and lenses!

I've always liked Oakleys for running and biking and general wear. They just fit right, and their optics were great. I also used them for shooting, but one thing that I didn't like was that after about 45 minutes, their thick frame underneath my ear pro would start to hurt my head.

I had a pair of Rudys a long time ago, and liked them, but switched to Oakleys because I got a good discount on Oakley. But I've needed reading glasses for a while, and recently I noticed that Rudy offered bifocal glasses, so I tried a pair, and have been very happy. I can now read my bike computer and my running watch, and when I'm driving, I can also read my phone and my GPS (which of course I don't do when the car is moving).

I don't like their frames quite as much Oakleys, but the RPs are perfectly fine. A benefit from the Rudys that I didn't anticipate is that the thin frame is much more comfortable under my ear pro. I also bought several lenses (which can be a bit pricey), but now I have clear safety lenses, yellow lenses, and a couple shades of darker lenses for differing light conditions.

Sorry, I might not have been clear. Rudy Project and Oakley are off my list, outside consideration, I don't want anything to do with them. I'm looking for options other than those two.
    -C

Site Supporter
    The only ones I could find that really look normal (my version, anyway) as sunglasses were Smith Optics Director Tactical. https://www.smithoptics.com/products...Tactical/view/ They're not that cheap, but they look good, and are very comfortable under ear pro. I really like these and would buy them as my sunglasses even if I didn't shoot. They don't have interchangable lenses, though, and three sets would be a stretch. ESS has some nice options that look good and have interchangable lenses. http://www.esseyepro.com/Ballistic-S..._category.html I have the CDI Max and they are comfortable under earpro for short periods but I found that for longer sessions they were irritating. It looks like they have changed the ear piece since I tried them, so that might be different today. The Smith Optics are the only ones I got with prescription lenses, but ESS offers that option.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Rhines View Post
    Sorry, I might not have been clear. Rudy Project and Oakley are off my list, outside consideration, I don't want anything to do with them. I'm looking for options other than those two.
    My bad.

I wear ESS Naros or Revison sawflys with the RX insert. I like that if something happens I can just replace the lens and save the RX insert.

Quote Originally Posted by jholen View Post
    My bad.
    No worries. Like I said, I probably wasn't as clear as I could have been.

I like the look of the Smith Optics quite a bit. I might get a set of clear ones, just to see how they do.
    -C

Being a tightwad, I got a set of $9.99 safety glasses frames at Walmart w/Rx lenses. I'll never be the most fashionable guy at the range, but they work.
    Recovering Gun Store Commando. My Blog: The Clue Meter
    “It doesn’t matter what the problem is, the solution is always for us to give the government more money and power, while we eat less meat.”
    Glenn Reynolds

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Rhines View Post
    No worries. Like I said, I probably wasn't as clear as I could have been.

I like the look of the Smith Optics quite a bit. I might get a set of clear ones, just to see how they do.
    No worries, I just read your post too fast.

Honestly, I would look around or call around to your local eye shops and see if something works with your insurance. I was shocked at how cheap I got mine, they were less than $100 all said and done. The key is, having them order the frames with no prescription lenses, and then having the local shop do the prescription work.

User Tag List