Page 26 of 27 FirstFirst ... 1624252627 LastLast

Thread: Input on Current Project

You just need to come up with your own test that tests marksmanship WHILE doing something else...like having to read something like a specific original story or something and answer questions on it afterwards or perform some task with intermittent shooting problems interspersed or something to that effect. That will give a "baseline of subconscious skills"....In fact you can even use that as the name for the test if you want. You can probably devise it yourself, or get assistance from scientific research types. This could be big John......you can make it happen...

Quote Originally Posted by LtDave View Post
    This quote from The Shootist sums up Randy's point:
    Gillom Rogers: [Books is giving Gillom a shooting lesson] Mr. Books, How is it you've killed so many men? My spread wasn't much bigger than yours.
    John Bernard Books: First of all, friend, there's no one up there shooting back at you. Second, I found most men aren't willing, they bat an eye, or draw a breath before they shoot. I won't.
    I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I require the same from them....

"Faith can move mountains, Milt, but it can't beat a faster draw."

Well, since we're doing quotes from John Wayne movies...
    I had an ER nurse in a class. I noticed she kept taking all head shots. Her response when asked why, "'I've seen too many people who have been shot in the chest putting up a fight in the ER." Point taken.

I wanted to give this thread a necrobump after recently revisiting it. It's a good subject/thread for new members that may not find it due to a somewhat vague title.

I'd also be interested in hearing if there has been a change of opinion or refinement in the two years since John first posted it.

Also, thanks John, I got even more out of it the second time around. Overall, it makes for some sobering introspection when tracking applicable performance goals.

Quote Originally Posted by StraitR View Post
    I'd also be interested in hearing if there has been a change of opinion or refinement in the two years since John first posted it.
    Two years later, I am even more convinced of the need to have high levels of automaticity/hardwiring in basic gun skills to free the mind to solve the problem. The more I study this, the more I realize we have far less mental resources than we think, especially as stress drives towards the emotional side of the brain. You need to be thinking about solving the problem not running the gun.

I am also convinced that you develop positive or negative feedback loops. As one's skill improves, one's confidence increases, and one becomes more likely to stay in the rational portion of the brain.

Most recent research nugget is this. Experts and novices deliver the same skill from different parts of their brain. The experts seem to be delivering it from areas that reflect higher levels of "permanence" and I suspect, areas that are less vulnerable to the effects of stress.
    • It's not the odds, it's the stakes.
    • If you aren't dry practicing every week, you're not serious.....
    • "Tache-Psyche Effect - a polite way of saying 'You suck.' " - GG

Quote Originally Posted by John Hearne View Post
    Two years later, I am even more convinced of the need to have high levels of automaticity/hardwiring in basic gun skills to free the mind to solve the problem. The more I study this, the more I realize we have far less mental resources than we think, especially as stress drives towards the emotional side of the brain. You need to be thinking about solving the problem not running the gun.

I am also convinced that you develop positive or negative feedback loops. As one's skill improves, one's confidence increases, and one becomes more likely to stay in the rational portion of the brain.

Most recent research nugget is this. Experts and novices deliver the same skill from different parts of their brain. The experts seem to be delivering it from areas that reflect higher levels of "permanence" and I suspect, areas that are less vulnerable to the effects of stress.
    Thanks for the update John. The different areas of the brain is interesting, and I've read a little bit about that here....

https://books.google.com/books?id=ye...ooting&f=false

Do you have any recommended sources of additional reading for those interested?

I obviously agree.... we just needed a genius in our midst to put the whole thing together. We need to talk on the different part of the brain thing.......I have a hypothesis I want to run by you. If it sounds logical to you, I will make some phone calls to "those guys" and get some confirmation.
    Last edited by Dagga Boy; 02-10-2016 at 11:57 PM.
    Just a Hairy Special Snowflake supply clerk with no field experience, shooting an Asymetric carbine as a Try Hard. Snarky and easily butt hurt. Favorite animal is the Cape Buffalo....likely indicative of a personality disorder.
    "If I had a grandpa, he would look like Delbert Belton".

Quote Originally Posted by nyeti View Post
    I obviously agree.... we just needed a genius in our midst to put the whole thing together. We need to talk on the different part of the brain thing.......I have a hypothesis I want to run by you. If it sounds logical to you, I will make some phone calls to "those guys" and get some confirmation.
    I ain't no genius - just ask my wife.

I'll call once I read the whole article - I just read the abstract when I was digging thus weekend. It could be as simple as pulling from explicit versus implicit memory.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

If you are interested in this material, I'll be presenting the full lecture in Kentucky this June. There aren't a whole lot of venues open to the egghead side of the equation and this is a great shot to get it.

https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....nbotham-Hearne

If you are interested in this material, I'll be presenting the full lecture in Kentucky this June. There aren't a whole lot of venues open to the egghead side of the equation and this is a great shot to get it.

https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....nbotham-Hearne
    Seriously wish I could make that class.
    I am the owner of Agile/Training and Consulting
    www.agiletactical.com

User Tag List