Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Debris inside Striker Channel, Brass Flakes, Gunk

Site Supporter
    How many rounds did it take to make your channel that dirty?

Quote Originally Posted by JV View Post
    How many rounds did it take to make your channel that dirty?
    About 1200 rounds that I have run through the gun. I bought it used in very good condition. But I don't recall ever cleaning the striker channel.
    cc
    That a well-regulated militia, composed of the body of the people, trained to arms, is the proper, natural, and safe defense of a free state;

Site Supporter
    A better way to remove it without damage is to push a standard square .38 - .45 caliber cleaning patch with a wooden tipped Q-tip into the channel and twist the patch tight in the channel, then pull the liner out. The channel liner has a tapered end and a dead square end. Make sure the tapered end is installed into the striker channel first when reassembling.

The striker channel should be kept clean and dry and I've found that Gun Scrubber or similar spray cleaners do a good job of that. The channels typically get crudded up by somebody using lots of solvent on cleaning brushes that are being used to clean the breech face and the underside of the slide where the channel's weep hole is located.

As for striker nose erosion, I've heard of it being a significant problem with some non-toxic primers in heavy training regimens.
    Regional Government Sales Manager for Aimpoint, Inc. USA
    Co-owner Hardwired Tactical Shooting (HiTS)

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Dobbs View Post
    A better way to remove it without damage is to push a standard square .38 - .45 caliber cleaning patch with a wooden tipped Q-tip into the channel and twist the patch tight in the channel, then pull the liner out. The channel liner has a tapered end and a dead square end. Make sure the tapered end is installed into the striker channel first when reassembling.

The striker channel should be kept clean and dry and I've found that Gun Scrubber or similar spray cleaners do a good job of that. The channels typically get crudded up by somebody using lots of solvent on cleaning brushes that are being used to clean the breech face and the underside of the slide where the channel's weep hole is located.

As for striker nose erosion, I've heard of it being a significant problem with some non-toxic primers in heavy training regimens.
    Great tips....pun intended!
    Thanks,
    Cody
    That a well-regulated militia, composed of the body of the people, trained to arms, is the proper, natural, and safe defense of a free state;

That doesn't look all that dirty to me either. If you know you have an OEM normal weight firing pin spring in good condition and undamaged firing pin/striker, I'd be very suspicious of the trigger job.
    Technical excellence supports tactical preparedness
    Lord of the Food Court
    http://www.gabewhitetraining.com

Site Supporter
    I'd like to see a picture of your firing pin (striker) safety.

I'm wondering if there's interference between it and the striker, because it's not getting fully depressed. Excessive peening on the edges is a clue.

Well, good news is the primers did not seem to be a problem. I went through 17 rounds in the glock with no light strikes. And, I went through another 120 rounds with no issues using my Cz. The bad news is that I had a squib, didn't feel different (although should have known because it didn't eject the empty casing), and fired another round. Now I have a nice bulge in my barrel...not working so good. Weird symptom: Slide would lock back without mag inserted and not using the slide release. It was because the barrel was bulged and wouldn't pass through the barrel hole in the frame!

Pics coming. Thank God it didn't explode. Thinking of ordering a Lone Wolf Replacement. Any objections? An OEM costs more than the Lone Wolf. This is the first squib I have ever had with this ammo, but then again, I have shot at least 10,000 rounds of it.

Cody

Yikes. Glad you're OK, Cody.

Every time I hear a story like this one, I thank baby Odin that I shoot HKs. Not because they make firing squib loads impossible, but because they're tested to survive firing a live round into the tail of a lodged squib round.

ETA: You know, if you were frustrated with the gun's functioning, there were non-destructive options for dealing with that situation.
    Looking for a gun blog with AARs, gear reviews, and the occasional random tangent written by a hardcore geek? trevoronthetrigger.wordpress.com/
    Latest post: The Rogers Shooting School Experience (15 Jul 2014)

I prefer the KKM barrels which lock up tighter than the OEM or Lone Wolf.

Site Supporter
    IMO, 17 rounds is not a sufficient number of rounds to determine if a light strike issue has been resolved.

I would pass on the Lone Wolf and get a Barsto.

I'd just like to bring up my previous comment about ammo quality and light strikes, since it seems even more relevant now:
    http://pistol-forum.com/showthread.p...l=1#post193874

User Tag List