Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: VA Lawmakers .... doing a good job

Site Supporter

VA Lawmakers .... doing a good job

IMO - Our new Governor was not a welcomed addition. He's certainly in favor of more gun control. But, the Militia, Police and Public Safety Committee killed 6 anti-gun bills

HB535 - Private sale background check
    HB695 - Stiffen CHP requirements
    HB809 - 20 Round Limit for mags
    HB812 - Universal background checks
    HB823 - Authorize private checks between folks at guns shows
    HB992 - Enable localities to ban guns in libraries

Fantastic news! Shared on FB.

Congrats!

[QUOTE=JV;192861]IMO - Our new Governor was not a welcomed addition. He's certainly in favor of more gun control. But, the Militia, Police and Public Safety Committee killed 6 anti-gun bills

Frankly these two are not bad ideas in my opinion and they are not anti gun. Anti gun bills limit the types of guns and ammunition you can buy. These bills seem to try to make it harder for unauthorized persons like Felons from buying guns. Lots of illegal gun sales at gun shows to felons and through private sales. In my experience most of the guns I take of criminals are generally private sale and some are stolen. In my opinion everyone selling a gun should be able to call a number and check to see if the person is ok to purchase, record a confirmation number and then process the sale after that. No need to record firearms serial numbers or makes or models. I think that as gun owners we are so suspicious of any new laws because we are under attack that we are viewing everything as bad when not every proposal is.
    Pat
    Last edited by Alaskapopo; 01-18-2014 at 12:59 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Alaskapopo View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by JV View Post
    IMO - Our new Governor was not a welcomed addition. He's certainly in favor of more gun control. But, the Militia, Police and Public Safety Committee killed 6 anti-gun bills

Frankly these two are not bad ideas in my opinion and they are not anti gun. Anti gun bills limit the types of guns and ammunition you can buy. These bills seem to try to make it harder for unauthorized persons like Felons from buying guns. Lots of illegal gun sales at gun shows to felons and through private sales. In my experience most of the guns I take of criminals are generally private sale and some are stolen. In my opinion everyone selling a gun should be able to call a number and check to see if the person is ok to purchase, record a confirmation number and then process the sale after that. No need to record firearms serial numbers or makes or models. I think that as gun owners we are so suspicious of any new laws because we are under attack that we are viewing everything as bad when not every proposal is.
    Pat
    I'd love to have a private access to NICS, without any serial # records. But how would you mandate using it for all transfers, without universal registration? In the end, the felons are going to get their weapons somehow. I'd rather not sacrifice my rights on the altar of hopelessness.

Quote Originally Posted by LHS View Post
    I'd love to have a private access to NICS, without any serial # records. But how would you mandate using it for all transfers, without universal registration? In the end, the felons are going to get their weapons somehow. I'd rather not sacrifice my rights on the altar of hopelessness.
    This is my plan on how you could make it work. I understand the registration concerns and I don't want it either. Do like I posted earlier allow someone to call and see if someone is good to go for purchase. Record a confirmation number saying John Doe 12345533 for your records. Now for enforcement. Most honest people will follow the law. For those that don't set up sting operations like you do with hit men for hire. Where you pose as a convicted felon and try to purchase guns from people at gun shows etc. This is already being done. When you catch someone who is willing to sell to you after you tell them your a felon arrest them and lock them up for deterrence. Personally I will not sell my guns without going through an FFL unless I know the person very well like a friend. I don't want to live with arming some criminal and having to live with them killing someone else with a gun I put in their hands.
    Pat

Site Supporter
    Not saying I like this idea, just stating facts..

When I lived in NC, in order to buy a handgun you had to apply to the local Sheriff (even in a big city like Raleigh it was the Sheriff, an elected official, that handled this, not the city LE) for a permit to purchase. After a 7 day wait/background check, you could be issued up to 5 permits, good for as long as the guy who signed them was still in office. When you purchased a gun you handed one permit to the seller and he was required to keep it, ostensibly forever.

Certainly not a perfect system (how does the buyer know the gun is not stolen?), but it did accomplish a basic background check without registration.
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." - Thomas Jefferson, Virginia Constitution, Draft 1, 1776

FWIW, that's kind of how it works in NJ. You apply for and get 5+ permits (don't know the limit) that expire in 90 days unless you renew* them at the station. Unfortunately, NJ went to a pistol/month restriction and 7 days moved to weeks. At one point, it took months during the Newton craziness.

*Renewing is usually very easy, but like anything involving people, it can vary from town to town how they'll handle it.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk
    Fairness leads to extinction much faster than harsh parameters.

Or..... you could make the system voluntary instead of mandatory. Maybe give legal or other incentives to encourage participation. They could even make an app for that. As a private citizen engaging in a FTF sale, I'd be willing to make a quick phone call to verify that the buyer was legal, especially if it offered me some sort of legal protection.
    Cheers,
    David

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by JollyGreen View Post
    Or..... you could make the system voluntary instead of mandatory. Maybe give legal or other incentives to encourage participation. They could even make an app for that. As a private citizen engaging in a FTF sale, I'd be willing to make a quick phone call to verify that the buyer was legal, especially if it offered me some sort of legal protection.
    Cheers,
    David
    As a buyer I would appreciate knowing that the gun has not been reported stolen, and that the seller is not a known criminal.
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." - Thomas Jefferson, Virginia Constitution, Draft 1, 1776

User Tag List