Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 89101112 LastLast

Thread: VA Lawmakers .... doing a good job

Quote Originally Posted by Alaskapopo View Post
    Getting a gun from family or friends falls under the definition of a private transfer. Also are you saying you agree with the anti gun state that a firearm in the home is more likely to harm you than someone else since all statistics are correct right? I don't need data I have real life experience.
    ;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;
    According to what you linked if you add up flee markets, gun shows, and family or friends. Buying from friends or family is a private transfer. The number goes up to 41.3% of all guns in criminals hands through private transfers.
    Pat

Pat
    The family or friends are committing a felony in order to provide the felon with a gun. If they are willing to do that, I don't see how disregarding a new background check law would slow them down.
    Straw purchases are already illegal. I don't think new legislation would help much.

I don't need data I have real life experience.
    This is why you're so frequently wrong about stuff, apparently.

Quote Originally Posted by frozentundra View Post
    The family or friends are committing a felony in order to provide the felon with a gun. If they are willing to do that, I don't see how disregarding a new background check law would slow them down.
    Straw purchases are already illegal. I don't think new legislation would help much.
    We need to enforce the laws we have but I see background checks as making it harder for criminals to get guns and that is a good thing. Who here thinks felons having easy access to firearms is a good thing? I bet no one does but that is what your saying by opposing background checks. I get that you don't trust the those in power to write a good law regarding background checks. That said a good law could be passed that protects gun owners and makes it harder for felons to purchase guns through private party sales.
    Pat

Murder Machine, Harmless Fuzzball TCinVA's Avatar
    We need to enforce the laws we have but I see background checks as making it harder for criminals to get guns and that is a good thing. Who here things felons having easy access to firearms is a good thing? That is what your saying by opposing background checks.
    Pat
    Perhaps in an alternate universe where everything functions as you decree. In this one I just see people who don't believe that background checks will do spit to stop felons from getting guns.
    3/15/2016

We need to enforce the laws we have but I see background checks as making it harder for criminals to get guns and that is a good thing. Who here thinks felons having easy access to firearms is a good thing? I bet no one does but that is what your saying by opposing background checks. I get that you don't trust the those in power to write a good law regarding background checks. That said a good law could be passed that protects gun owners and makes it harder for felons to purchase guns through private party sales.
    Pat
    I think that background checks are working just fine. I don't think they should be messed with.

I think that background checks are working just fine. I don't think they should be messed with.
    They don't cover a huge percentage of the guns bought and sold. I am not sure of the exact percentage of new vs used guns sold. But I can tell you the used gun market is large where I am at.
    Pat

Quote Originally Posted by TCinVA View Post
    Perhaps in an alternate universe where everything functions as you decree. In this one I just see people who don't believe that background checks will do spit to stop felons from getting guns.
    Or perhaps a universe where people use common sense reason vs emotions like fear.
    Pat

They don't cover a huge percentage of the guns bought and sold. I am not sure of the exact percentage of new vs used guns sold. But I can tell you the used gun market is large where I am at.
    Pat
    Background checks through an FFL dealer work. There is no way to regulate the private transfers. I just see additional checks as more red tape for law abiding people, while providing criminals with another law to ignore. Just my honest opinion.

Background checks through an FFL dealer work. There is no way to regulate the private transfers. I just see additional checks as more red tape for law abiding people, while providing criminals with another law to ignore. Just my honest opinion.
    A simple way would be to require all gun sales go through an FFL dealer. Yes its a bit more red tape but not overly difficult or costly. I do it now for all the guns I sale because I don't want to arm some scumbag because I didn't know he was a felon. Frankly the only valid argument I can see against not wanting background checks on private sales is the fear that it will be turned into a registration scheme.
    Pat

A simple way would be to require all gun sales go through an FFL dealer. Yes its a bit more red tape but not overly difficult or costly. I do it now for all the guns I sale because I don't want to arm some scumbag because I didn't know he was a felon. Frankly the only valid argument I can see against not wanting background checks on private sales is the fear that it will be turned into a registration scheme.
    Pat
    Were you even paying attention to the background check bill that was introduced last year?

User Tag List