Quote Originally Posted by David Blinder View Post
Since I'm the infamous David Blinder, thought I'd lob a comment on this. I'm reminded of a lady who asked the golfer Ben Hogan how to make a 1 iron back up and he asked how far she hit a 1 iron. When she replied "about 150 yards", he asked "why the hell would you want it to back up?"

The moral to my story is if you can't do it clean slow and/or at short range, why the hell do think doing it fast or longer with misses is a good thing? It was designed as a test of marksmanship fundamentals and nothing more. The faster/farther you can do it clean, the better your fundamentals.
Certainly, if you can not do Dot Torture clean slowly, you will be unlikely to make a precise shot at speed. The point I was trying to make, though, is just because you CAN do Dot Torture clean slowly, does not mean you can make a precise shot at speed. And, if you have the ability to do it clean, for example, at three yards, turning DT into a drill, repeated frequently, will likely hinder your ability to make a precise shot at speed because you will be accustomed to having a perfect sight picture and slow, perfect trigger press. I think Todd said it right, DT is a great test and a lousy drill. As I was reading this thread, it seemed like folks were turning it into a drill, which I believe counterproductive to hitting with precision at speed.