Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Dot Torture

My First Dot Torture

The first thing I shot this morning was the dot torture from 3 yards... I have a lot of work to do.

23 misses. Surprisingly my best was SHO (no misses) and WHO (1 miss). Dots 6 & 7 ( 9 misses) and 9 & 10 (5 misses) gave me the most problems.

Since I wasn't using any time restraint, I probably should have slowed down a little.
    --
    Formerly hombre gris
    I am no longer LEO, never .MIL. I am .DAD and my attitude will reflect that.
    Cogito ergo armatus sum -- I think, therefore I am armed

Shot my first 50/50 tonight at 3 yards. It was closer to 3.5-4, but 3 yards works. 100% cold, so much so that I shot it only to kill some time. I guess the guys that talk about dry fire might be on to something.

ETA: Also tried a much harder grip than usual, really helped on the WHO that would have normally been a 0/5.

Previous bests were ~44

Last edited by orionz06; 05-10-2011 at 07:57 AM.
    Think for yourself. Question authority.

We are diminished
    Great job! I've seen some really outstanding shooters fail to make 50 at 3yd. It's a huge accomplishment.

I have used the Dot Torture drill to help me transition from a M&P to a P30. Running pretty consistent 49-50 at 3 yds and around 46-48 at 4yds.

I'm gettin' there slowly but surely.

Last week I ran this during our dept.'s firearms instructor update. I ran thirty guys through on the line, they loved it. After lunch we had them all shoot it with their non-dominant hands, I was really surprised at how good most of them did. Many guys learned what they need to work on, I think we may run this with our recruit officers as well.

They say it's the "Indian and not the arrow". Yeah, well sometimes, it's the arrow.

I've recently transitioned from a G19 to an M&P 9f. Basing my decision on how well I shot the M&P .357 i used to carry.

Now I never shot DT with my Glock because, well, I was terrible with the thing.

Tonight I shot this at 3 yards:

There is a lesson in here somewhere.
    Nobody is impressed by what you can't do. -THJ

Bratch and I shot a bit tonight in preparation for the Tactical Conference in Tulsa this weekend.
    We did a Dot Torture at 5yds I did a 50/50 shooting WHO for the whole thing
    I had to stop during one part so Bratch could watch me shoot a bug that landed on my target stand!!.
    Bratch did a 49-50!!

So maybe we'll suck less this weekend...
    Founder Of Keepers Concealment and Lead trainer. Affiliate of CCW Safe, Use discount code ( KC10off )Sign up here https://ccwsafe.com/ref/B65241653

Quote Originally Posted by Prdator View Post
    Bratch and I shot a bit tonight in preparation for the Tactical Conference in Tulsa this weekend.
    I had to stop during one part so Bratch could watch me shoot a bug that landed on my target stand!!.
    Bratch did a 49-50!!

Great shooting WHO all the way.

Shot it twice today once at 5 yards then again at 7 yards with my 686 revolver, 160 grain LRN over 4.0 Bullseye.

5 yards 49/50

Believe it or not the shot missing the lower right of DOT 2 is SHO from DOT 5

7 yards 47/50

SHO was my downfall today. I don't know what to attribute it to, maybe the ongoing tendinitis in my right forearm.

We'll try again another day.
    Scott
    Only Hits Count - The Faster the Hit the more it Counts!!!!!!; DELIVER THE SHOT!
    Stephen Hillier - "An amateur practices until he can do it right, a professional practices until he can't do it wrong."

Quote Originally Posted by Prdator View Post
    Bratch did a 49-50!!

Outstanding...

Quote Originally Posted by rsa-otc View Post
    Great shooting WHO all the way.

Shot it twice today once at 5 yards then again at 7 yards with my 686 revolver, 160 grain LRN over 4.0 Bullseye.

5 yards 49/50

Believe it or not the shot missing the lower right of DOT 2 is SHO from DOT 5

7 yards 47/50

SHO was my downfall today. I don't know what to attribute it to, maybe the ongoing tendinitis in my right forearm.

We'll try again another day.
    I have developed tennis elbow in my support arm and it really takes a toll on the ability to control the pistol.

Have you ever heard someone make one of those really frustrated gurgling noises? That's the noise I made when I dropped a WHO shot on Dot Torture today. I have NEVER cleaned Dot Torture at 5 yards with my Sig P250. I've done it with other guns, but never the 250. That final shot evades me, and it's maddening.

User Tag List