Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Dot Torture

I've always like Dot Torture but didn't like spending 50 rounds on it. I revised it as a 30 round COF. Since you're firing less rounds, I reduced the dot size by the same amount. Have fun, it drives me crazy:
    http://dvctargets.com/misc/30_rd_dot_torture.pdf

I downloaded the Dot Torture pdf and print it on regular paper (8 1/2 x 11), is this the size everyone uses? And how many yards back can you be for the drill to be a challenge but a perfect score still be a realistic goal?

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by mongooseman View Post
    print it on regular paper (8 1/2 x 11), is this the size everyone uses?
    That's what I use.

And how many yards back can you be for the drill to be a challenge but a perfect score still be a realistic goal?
    It depends on your ability. I would shoot it at 3Y, if you can clean it, go to 5 and then 7. If you're cleaning it at 7, which is a fantastic run, go to 10.

I normally shoot it at 7, I don't clean it often.

We are diminished
    I'd recommend starting at three yards and moving back in one yard increments. While the difference between 3yd and 4yd might seem minor, you've actually increased distance by a third.

Anyone who can consistently shoot 50 on the DotTor at 3yd has very solid marksmanship fundamentals.

Cool

"It depends on your ability. I would shoot it at 3Y, if you can clean it, go to 5 and then 7. If you're cleaning it at 7, which is a fantastic run, go to 10.

I normally shoot it at 7, I don't clean it often".

Thanks, I was getting frustrated at the 7. I guess I don't suck as much as I thought I did!

Site Supporter
    Thanks, I was getting frustrated at the 7. I guess I don't suck as much as I thought I did!
    If I could remove the SHO/WHO portion, my scores would be much higher.

Quote Originally Posted by JV View Post
    If I could remove the SHO/WHO portion, my scores would be much higher.
    This is the best statement so far!

This will surely work for me, too.
    Frank B
    "You are not paid for what you do, you are paid for what you may have to do, and when that time comes, you will be highly underpaid."

I've tried this test twice now. Once with my SR9, once with my SR9c. I shot both targets at ~3yds, untimed. Aside from the SHO/WHO portions I consider what I did to be ok, nothing better. This test makes me feel like I can't shoot a friggin' pistol at all!

I scored 37 with the SR9 and 39 with the SR9c. I dropped most of my points in the SHO/WHO portion. My buddy that I shoot a lot with did it with His SR9c and his G17. He scored about the same as I did, maybe a point higher.

We both felt incredibly humbled afterwards and have since decided on a couple ways to change our training regimen, as well as cementing the idea that we need to take a class or three.

I have been shooting at 3 yd, have not cleaned it yet, weak hand gives me fits, I really have a hard time with the sights weak hand, I think its an eye position thing. And my first shots at time seem to hit wide then the next four group center of #1 dot.
    Great drill.

I shot the dot target last weekend at three yards and cleaned it twice and then I shot it yesterday at about 5 yards, I ended up shooting a 46/50...I have to admit though its almost cheating with the trijicon RMR on my 19, the hardest part is still the WHO/SHO shooting portion.
    Chemist.

User Tag List