Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: IDPA Indoor Nationals in Springfield, MA...High Cap Mags

Their new political officer's sidearm.

Quote Originally Posted by TheTrevor View Post
    There are 8 million gun owners in California. Just food for thought.
    So? It isn't Free America's fault that your state is so hard to travel to with guns.

I am told that among the reasons that the World Steel Challenge was moved to Florida was the difficultly of legally bringing guns to California. So while it is true that no one at Piru is going to rat you out for assembling high capacity magazines (because not every gun as a 10 round magazine) at the range, it wasn't legal under the law.

Heck I don't watch Cali laws, but IIRC they were trying to pass a law to make it illegal to even bring in the "rebuild" kits.

It's not a question of whether or not there are gun owners or "free Americans" in those states. The question is why hold the events in states with such infringements?
    I had an ER nurse in a class. I noticed she kept taking all head shots. Her response when asked why, "'I've seen too many people who have been shot in the chest putting up a fight in the ER." Point taken.

Quote Originally Posted by jlw View Post
    It's not a question of whether or not there are gun owners or "free Americans" in those states. The question is why hold the events in states with such infringements?
    I agree with that sentiment. However, for Smith & Wesson, they have been in Springfield MA since the 1800's! So, they have a good enough reason to hold matches at their training facilities. The real question is whether they are prepared to move out of Mass to a more friendly State. My vote is Virginia.
    Cody
    That a well-regulated militia, composed of the body of the people, trained to arms, is the proper, natural, and safe defense of a free state;

Quote Originally Posted by cclaxton View Post
    I agree with that sentiment. However, for Smith & Wesson, they have been in Springfield MA since the 1800's! So, they have a good enough reason to hold matches at their training facilities. The real question is whether they are prepared to move out of Mass to a more friendly State. My vote is Virginia.
    Cody
    I second the motion.

Quote Originally Posted by cclaxton View Post
    Cody
    I get S&W wanted to host the match at their facility. S&W wasn't specifically the target of my post.

I was in an S&W armorer class years ago as the M&P rifles were just about to be released. The instructor joked that they were building rifles in a location where it was a crime to own them.
    I had an ER nurse in a class. I noticed she kept taking all head shots. Her response when asked why, "'I've seen too many people who have been shot in the chest putting up a fight in the ER." Point taken.

Quote Originally Posted by jlw View Post
    The question is why hold the events in states with such infringements?
    The answer comes in two parts. Fist, it does not appear that any group from any of the gun friendly venues has made a better offer regarding hosting a national, international, etc. event to take the place of Smith & Wesson's event. Second, the S&W venue has had no problem finding participants to fill its event as well as a substantial waiting list.
    "You can't win a war with choirboys. " Mad Mike Hoare

Quote Originally Posted by NEPAKevin View Post
    The answer comes in two parts. Fist, it does not appear that any group from any of the gun friendly venues has made a better offer regarding hosting a national, international, etc. event to take the place of Smith & Wesson's event. Second, the S&W venue has had no problem finding participants to fill its event as well as a substantial waiting list.
    It is a National Level match, and for an IDPA match the stages are very well constructed. So it is only natural that it fills up.

There are few indoor facilities large enough and that can close for a week needed to setup, run, and tear down such a match (off the top of my head maybe Blackwater or Sig Academy).

Now if they were willing to make it the "Winter Nationals" there are a number of ranges in the Southern US (Florida, South Texas, and Arizona) that could hold such a match. But that would also piss off one of IDPA's biggest sponsors.

But IMO we really shouldn't be holding national level matches in restricted states. As that would mean that shooters have to get 10 round magazines as few states have exceptions for competitors (and even states that do few allow it for practical shooting). And for some guns, and magazine setups there are no 10 round magazines available, for example the XDM. And even for magazines where there are 10 round magazines, they often aren't compatible with extended base plates (like those required to use a magwell).

But there are matches like the S&W Indoor Nationals one that have so much momentum behind them it honestly is too late to change unless the rules get really restrictive. A good example of backlash is when the Steel Challenge World Shoot was moved to Florida from Piru. Piru had a really steady group of local and semi-local competitors since the match had been held there for years. None of whom wanted to fly to Florida to compete in that match.

You will see plenty of hi caps at the match and no one will question them. I understand the concern, but don't let it consume me.

I am reluctant to fly with high cap mags. If I was driving.....
    Cody
    That a well-regulated militia, composed of the body of the people, trained to arms, is the proper, natural, and safe defense of a free state;

User Tag List