Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: IDPA and Lights???

IDPA and Lights???

Why does IDPA prohibit the use of lanyards, rings etc, on flashlights during a match?

Surely their use can't be considered "not in the spirit of the game?" I would think they would encourage their use.
    In a sort of ghastly simplicity we remove the organ and demand the function. We make men without chests and expect of them virtue and enterprise. We laugh at honour and are shocked to find traitors in our midst. We castrate and bid the geldings be fruitful.” ― C.S. Lewis, The Abolition of Man

Quote Originally Posted by NETim View Post
    Why does IDPA prohibit the use of lanyards, rings etc, on flashlights during a match?

Surely their use can't be considered "not in the spirit of the game?" I would think they would encourage their use.
    The exact quote
    "We don't want an equipment race."

Yes that answer is baffling. They are very practical, come with quite a few lights for free. Even for the lights where they don't come with it, they can be made or purchased for less than $20.

Strange rules for a game that pretends to be an approximation of something real.
    Think for yourself. Question authority.

These are the rules:
    8.8.4. Lights:
    8.8.4.1. Only hand held lights may be used in IDPA competition. For Physically Disabled shooters, refer to Physically Disabled Shooters Section.
    8.8.4.2. Lights may not be attached to the shooter’s hand, wrist, or arm in any fashion.
    8.8.4.3. Rings or straps that go around any part of the shooter’s body (finger, palm, wrist, etc.) are not allowed.
    8.8.4.4. Lanyards may be present, but may not be used.
    8.8.4.5. Police and military personnel using the Duty Gear Exemption with a weapon mounted light may not activate the mounted light, but may use a hand held light per this section

Without knowing the discussions that went on inside the meetings that made this decision, it is hard to say. There are a number of rules that, on the surface, appear to be unnecessary or unfair. It is a waste of time and words to start asking why. That being said, I think it would be good if IDPA published a book on why certain rules are the way they are, or talked about it in the journal. Maybe they will do that someday. Until then we are left to interpret the intention of the rules by embracing them as they are.

But, let's take a look at the rules as they are:
    1) the rules are designed to have the shooter use a flashlight as a separate item, not tied to the weapon or the shooter,
    2) The rules require the shooter to either shoot two-handed while holding the handgun, or gun in one hand and flashlight in the other;
    3) The shooter may not illuminate a room by tossing the light on the table or the ground without incurring a penalty.
    4) The lanyard or rings may not be used to create an effect of it being attached to the person's body parts.
    5) The rules are NOT telling the shooter how to hold the flashlight;
    6) the rules are NOT telling the shooter whether to shoot two-hand or strong hand (although the COF could specify that);
    7) The rules are NOT telling the shooter where to hold or how to hold the flashlight...many methods exist.
    8) The rules are NOT telling the shooter what kind of flashlight to use, what brightness, what beam pattern, what color, how it gets turned ON, etc. Shooters choice.

First, it requires shooters to learn the most basic, unassisted manner to use a flashlight while shooting. And, that is a good thing to know how to do. When a fight happens you may not have your preferred light, for example. Any flashlight will do. [I am sure someone will argue their preferred flashlight never leaves their side...sh*t happens...you may not have it when you need it]

Secondly, due to the variety of ways in which a lanyard or combat right, velcro, wrist-mounted lights, and other mechanisms were being used, it was creating an unfair situation for shooters who get the newest things from their sponsors that no one else can get. And, it was starting to create a equipment race where people felt compelled to spend more money to get the latest gadget, if it was not backordered. Imagine one top shooter gets the latest wristlight as a prototype from his sponsor and no one else can get one...it creates and unfair competitive advantage. By requiring only a basic flashlight, it levels the playing field.

Thirdly, it focuses the shooter on really figuring out how to shoot with a flashlight rather than how to gadget his way around it. This is a good thing.

I hope this doesn't turn into another IDPA-bashing party...it is a waste of time and energy.

I have found the best way to understand the intention of the rules is to embrace them and shoot under the rules. You will then understand why. You may still think it should be changed, and no one will deny you that opinion. But at least you will understand it.

Contrary to popular opinion, the rules were very carefully crafted and were debated, sometimes ad-nauseum. At some point a decision had to be made. Anyone who makes policy decisions will get this immediately. You have to make the decision and move on.

I hope this helps.
    That a well-regulated militia, composed of the body of the people, trained to arms, is the proper, natural, and safe defense of a free state;

The rules are the rules and no one can change them but I am not sure they were carefully crafted nor will embracing them help me understand them.

We are diminished
    Quote Originally Posted by NETim View Post
    Because someone important imagined some kind of specific, off beat scenario where a particular gear mod would give a gamer a tiny advantage and IDPA hates that.

I'm one of the biggest defenders of IDPA around here and even I agree this whole topic is beyond embarrassing for them.

And fwiw, I don't use rings or lanyards on my EDC light. But tons of folks do, there are tons of benefits to them for certain applications, and disallowing what is otherwise a shooter's true normal ordinary everyday flashlight as "too gamey" just gives the IDPA detractors an easy target to attack.

It's a freakin' flashlight, IDPA. If people are winning and losing matches because of lanyards, there is something inherently wrong with the game/stages.

edited to add: I've got nothing against the prohibition on truly "body mounted" lights. Even if some folks use them and they can be engaged practically, that really would be a game-changing benefit compared to the guy running a 6P in his hand.

Quote Originally Posted by orionz06 View Post
    The rules are the rules and no one can change them but I am not sure they were carefully crafted nor will embracing them help me understand them.
    The rules can change. That is a fact. We have a new rulebook and the rules changed. We had an update to the rules with clarifications, so they were tweaked. And, with good reason they can change. That is a fact. But shooting without a lanyard is not going to hurt anyone. Do you really think we should subject every rule in IDPA to public debate?...Really?
    Cody
    That a well-regulated militia, composed of the body of the people, trained to arms, is the proper, natural, and safe defense of a free state;

Honestly, yes. In all games. A majority of the rules would be fine but why not debate the sketchy ones that don't accomplish anything?

My best guess as to the reason why it may be a disallowed item is one can potentially shoot better with a lanyard depending on their chosen position.

If they didn't want an equipment race we would all shoot the same gun in each class and guns with advantages over a HiPoint would not be allowed.

Awesome so in the real shooting sport not only must I move my pistol from that unrealistic AIWB rig to a far more practical Comp Tac International, But I must also remember when I put on my range only fishing vest,that the torch I carry everyday in my pocket with its Raven clip attached is impractical and gamer and must ,logically, be replaced with another that I cant carry everyday.

Totally legit
    Welcome to Africa, bring a hardhat.

Quote Originally Posted by orionz06 View Post
    Agree.
    Again, contrived regulations. It is an equipment race anyway. Lumens, shapes, sizes all are used for an advantage.
    IDPA can't seem to understand that less restrictions and regulations is actually better. Set up a max size so it is a reasonably concealable and just let people shoot. Let people do what they want. Maybe somebody will find a new way or something. People keep saying how many practical techniques and methods came out of competition. IDPA is doing its best that doesn't happen again.

User Tag List