Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Sight radius?

I shot 17s for a while before the 34 and I always resisted going to the 34. It took me a long time to notice any real difference between the 17 and 34, but eventually I did.

Quote Originally Posted by TheTrevor View Post
    rather than sight radius, I see the benefit of the G34/35/41 being reduced muzzle flip from having more weight further out from the pivot point of my wrist. It's definitely easier to keep the sights close to flat with the long-slide versions.
    I'd agree with this. My subjective impression of the G34 being a little easier to shoot than the 17 I don't think is related to sight radius, though technically that is probably in there somewhere. It's more the softer feel to the shooting and a little different rock and roll in the recoil cycle. When I shoot a 17 now, it feels a bit snappy to me.
    Technical excellence supports tactical preparedness
    Lord of the Food Court
    http://www.gabewhitetraining.com

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by TheTrevor View Post
    The heavier the projectile, the longer it takes for the powder charge to accelerate it for a given muzzle energy. This spreads the recoil impulse out over more time, reducing felt recoil.

In my case, shooting 40SW factory/reman ammo, I can pick between a milder 180gr load or a full-power 165gr load with a lot more snap to it. Once I switch over from accumulating brass to reloading, I'll have the option of loading even milder 180gr loads and running them with a lighter recoil spring for reliable functioning, which reportedly yields 9mm levels of recoil.
    I've heard that .40 minor is indeed a very pleasant round to shoot...I'll have to look at 147 grain ammo for my Glock, but it'll probably be from a handloading perspective (I'm so cheap I don't think I've fired a single factory round from my .45 since July)

User Tag List