Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sight radius?

Site Supporter

Sight radius?

So, I've been curious about this topic for a little while. I shoot a G34 (mostly because, I just like shooting glocks, and I got a good deal) and it has long been marketed as the better gun for competition because it has a longer sight radius. Is that really a thing? I mean, sure at some point there is a point of diminishing returns (after all, you won't see many G26's at the USPSA production nationals, but you'll probably see a fair share of G17's)

Is there really all that much of a difference between something like a G34 and something like a G17 or G19 that would increase the shooting skill of a slightly better than average shooter (i.e. somebody who can apply the fundamentals )

Site Supporter
    I notice almost no difference between my 34 and 17's performance numbers. If I had to do it over again, I wouldn't spend the extra money.

Not really. The G34s tend to shoot pretty flat and the longer barrel can give you a few more FPS at the chrono. Some people prefer the sight tracking on the slightly shorter guns and it's usually easier to reload the full size frames. So its really just a mash up of personal preferences.

It takes a bigger difference in pistol sight radius than G17-vs-G34 for me to see any effect. More like G26-vs-G34, and even then only at 10+ yards.

If you go from a 4" S&W revolver to an 8 3/8" S&W revolver, then sight radius nearly doubles and you'll see a difference. Going from a G19 or a G17 to a G34, probably not so much.

Okie John

Forgot to mention this in my earlier comment: rather than sight radius, I see the benefit of the G34/35/41 being reduced muzzle flip from having more weight further out from the pivot point of my wrist. It's definitely easier to keep the sights close to flat with the long-slide versions.

I started getting serious about grip and wrist strength last year. After making some significant progress in this area, I've found that the reduction in muzzle flip is hardly noticeable when shooting 9mm 147gr through the G17 vs G34, but it IS still somewhat noticeable shooting major power factor 40SW 165gr rounds through a G35. (I'm not a Glock owner, so my observations were drawn from 50-100 rounds through borrowed and rented Glocks over the last few months.)

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by TheTrevor View Post
    Forgot to mention this in my earlier comment: rather than sight radius, I see the benefit of the G34/35/41 being reduced muzzle flip from having more weight further out from the pivot point of my wrist. It's definitely easier to keep the sights close to flat with the long-slide versions.

I started getting serious about grip and wrist strength last year. After making some significant progress in this area, I've found that the reduction in muzzle flip is hardly noticeable when shooting 9mm 147gr through the G17 vs G34, but it IS still somewhat noticeable shooting major power factor 40SW 165gr rounds through a G35. (I'm not a Glock owner, so my observations were drawn from 50-100 rounds through borrowed and rented Glocks over the last few months.)
    I've started working with wrist strength as well. Any particular exercises you do? I've just been working with the COC grips and extensor bands. I don't really expect to see much benefit until I've been at it for a while.

Also, is there any particular reason to use 147 grain ammo vs 115grain or 124 grain ammo?

Quote Originally Posted by 45dotACP View Post
    I've started working with wrist strength as well. Any particular exercises you do?
    Crossfit 3 days/week.

Besides Crossfit, I have a 15lb kettlebell at home that I use on my non-Crossfit-workout days along with the CoC grippers. I'll stand or sit with my arm hanging straight down and rotate my wrist to vigorously twist it back and forth 10x each direction, then switch to the other hand & repeat; total 30 reps per hand.

I've just been working with the COC grips and extensor bands. I don't really expect to see much benefit until I've been at it for a while.
    You might be surprised. I saw improvement in both Crossfit and shooting within 4-6 weeks. Do NOT overdo it, and if you're feeling any hints of tendinitis in your hands, wrists, or elbows -- STOP, let it rest, and take an anti-inflammatory with every meal until you're good again.

Also, is there any particular reason to use 147 grain ammo vs 115grain or 124 grain ammo?
    The heavier the projectile, the longer it takes for the powder charge to accelerate it for a given muzzle energy. This spreads the recoil impulse out over more time, reducing felt recoil.

In my case, shooting 40SW factory/reman ammo, I can pick between a milder 180gr load or a full-power 165gr load with a lot more snap to it. Once I switch over from accumulating brass to reloading, I'll have the option of loading even milder 180gr loads and running them with a lighter recoil spring for reliable functioning, which reportedly yields 9mm levels of recoil.

I always felt that I ran my 17's better than my 34's. Got to the point where I decided to test the two back to back in my performance and tracked it over several thousands of rounds over about a 6 month period. I set both Gen4's with identical set ups. Triggers felt the same and pulls recorded the same average weight. I shot a lot of video doing multiple drills static, moving, drawing, reloads, multiple strings, multiple targets shooting both weapons back to back even in my work related training. Sometimes I ran the 34 first, sometimes the 17. I always tried to vary that. I recorded and tracked performance. Only real variable outside of pistol length, weight and balance would be a psychological factor. Knowing that, my own personal feel confirmed what the hard stats showed. I do indeed run the 17 better. Go figure as most pro shooters run the 34. So much for my pro career.

Quote Originally Posted by 45dotACP View Post
    Since I was ordering ammo tonight, I happened to notice that Freedom Munitions has (as of the time I type this) 51 cases of 9mm 147gr available. I don't recall the last time I saw them listing 147gr in stock, but I only notice because I scroll past it on the way to the 40SW.

http://www.freedommunitions.com/9mm-...147r-b0500.htm

No affiliation, just a pleased customer who's shot a few thousand rounds of their stuff in the last couple of months.

User Tag List