Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Springfield Armory XDS 4.0

Springfield Armory XDS 4.0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ow_L49Jft4Q

This looks interesting. Wish it had a full size grip though.

THE THIRST MUTILATOR Nephrology's Avatar
    What are people's opinion of the XDs to begin with? Honestly, as a Glock shooter, it is looking like it might be the best single stack 9 for me out there - no stupid safety like the Shield, no foreign mag release like the PPS, has a striker fired trigger unlike the PM9...

Seen too many XD's go down hard in matches and classes to trust one.
    "For a moment he felt good about this. A moment or two later he felt bad about feeling good about it. Then he felt good about feeling bad about feeling good about it and, satisfied, drove on into the night."
    -- Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy --

Quote Originally Posted by Nephrology View Post
    What are people's opinion of the XDs to begin with? Honestly, as a Glock shooter, it is looking like it might be the best single stack 9 for me out there - no stupid safety like the Shield, no foreign mag release like the PPS, has a striker fired trigger unlike the PM9...
    I like mine quite a bit. It fits my hand really well, is accurate enough that I can hit what I am aiming at and most important, goes bang every time I pull the trigger. I know a lot of people malign the gun, but I don't care. It works for me. YMMV
    "People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." George Orwell
    http://www.jrcholsters.com

I think if they got rid of their grip safety completely it would be a decent pistol.

The fact that the grip safety must be completely depressed in order to fully retract the slide is a potentially serious flaw.

I have also seen guys get a dead trigger when shooting from the #2 retention shooting position during classes due to them not fully depressing the grip safety.

Quote Originally Posted by NickDrak View Post
    I think if they got rid of their grip safety completely it would be a decent pistol.

The fact that the grip safety must be completely depressed in order to fully retract the slide is a potentially serious flaw.

I have also seen guys get a dead trigger when shooting from the #2 retention shooting position during classes due to them not fully depressing the grip safety.
    Not sure about the regular XD line, but this is not the case with the XDS. The grip safety does not need to be depressed in order to retract the slide. I do agree that it probably really does not need the grip safety.
    "People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." George Orwell

Quote Originally Posted by JRCHolsters View Post
    Not sure about the regular XD line, but this is not the case with the XDS. The grip safety does not need to be depressed in order to retract the slide. I do agree that it probably really does not need the grip safety.

I had heard that but had one of my co-workers bring me his XDs 45 so I could clear the round out of the chamber that he said was "Stuck" so he could send it in for the recall. Seems that it foiled two of my PD's other "Instructors" who couldn't get the slide completely open. On his XDs 45 the slide would not travel far enough to the rear to fully extract the chambered round unless the grip safety was fully depressed.

If glock had come out with a new 9mm in this size I'd be pre ordering it now.

Quote Originally Posted by NickDrak View Post
    I had heard that but had one of my co-workers bring me his XDs 45 so I could clear the round out of the chamber that he said was "Stuck" so he could send it in for the recall. Seems that it foiled two of my PD's other "Instructors" who couldn't get the slide completely open. On his XDs 45 the slide would not travel far enough to the rear to fully extract the chambered round unless the grip safety was fully depressed.
    My XDs 45 had the same issue but it didn't have anything to do with the grip safety. You have to rack the slide very hard to get it to extract a loaded round. There is very little space between the chamber and the breech face. Add a very tight extractor to the mix and you have a very difficult to extract loaded round.

I bought my dad the 9mm and it didn't have the same issue.

The XDs 4.0 makes want to build a Glock 26L.
    “If you know the way broadly you will see it in everything." - Miyamoto Musashi

I confirm that the new gun in .45 is hard to extract a live round, but it breaks in pretty easily after a few hundred rounds. My grip safety has no effect on racking the slide.
    On a side note, I have no intention of sending my gun in for the recall. From what I can tell, they are fixing something that was broken by a customer in order to cover their ass. Just my opinion.

User Tag List