Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Adding video to your training

Bringing up an old thread. I am in the market for a video camera to use for shooting evaluation/training. I also would like to use the camera for general use and possibly mounting to my racecar. Primary purpose is shooting evaluation then general use. I would like HD with common memory card and charging port. Slow motion capability would also be nice.

Quote Originally Posted by TumblinDown View Post
    If you don't have anyone to assist and you work on public assigned-to-a-lane ranges, are those expensive head-mounted cameras worth it? Are there other simpler, less expensive options? Please share your experiences! TIA!
    Get a cheap tripod and hit up best buy for a $10 Smart Phone to Tripod Adapter and use your phone!
    "I'm checking out, somebody throw me in the trash"

t. Frank Reynolds - IASIP

Just FYI this thread is an older one and the OP was from 2014. I added my post to it so as not to clutter up the board with a new post on the same topic. I can't really use the suggestions as my phone is already overtaxed,full memory and I don't have cell service(well poor service intermittently) for upload as an option.

Quote Originally Posted by octagon View Post
    Just FYI this thread is an older one and the OP was from 2014. I added my post to it so as not to clutter up the board with a new post on the same topic. I can't really use the suggestions as my phone is already overtaxed,full memory and I don't have cell service(well poor service intermittently) for upload as an option.

I am a little disappointed you used the search function. Next time make a new thread.

I'd recomend go pro. There are enough mounts that you can do anything with it.
    Last edited by Luke; 04-20-2017 at 01:34 PM.
    i used to wannabe

I think the big benefit to using a phone (or tablet) is being able to review the video immediately, between drills, using apps such as Coach's Eye that let you do slow motion, go through frame-by-frame, draw shapes on top of the video, monitor the time a specific action takes, etc.

Personally I use a cheap older phone dedicated to this purpose. Doesn't need to be activated or even compatible with your carrier, just pull videos off over Wi-Fi or USB (or pop out the memory card and stick it in your computer). Some phones can use voice-activated recording so you don't have to fast-forward through yourself walking back to the shooting position after pressing record. I use this at the range to hold it...the tripod is (obviously) cheap and flimsy, I wouldn't trust it with anything more than an old phone in a shockproof case, but it gets the job done.

Quote Originally Posted by TumblinDown View Post
    Thanks for all of the replies! Setting up a smartphone seems worth a try, but the front-facing camera typically has *significantly* less resolution that the rear-facing one (and I'm not even going to attempt using that). I'd guess the frames-per-second is lower too.

Slavex, that Trachyon looks tiny! That has to be a consideration too. Is SD sufficient versus HD, and perhaps even 60fps? While I'm stuck in a lane most of the time, I would like something I could use in less constraining environments too. For those with experience with the Contour, can you mount it to the bill of a cap or is something sturdier needed?
    I guess it depends on what you're looking for. I shot some video with an iPhone 4, then slowed it way down in iMovie. Resolution was adequate for watching myself flinch like crazy in rapid fire strings. Being able to see what I was doing in slo-mo was hugely helpful.

I also like that the sound slows down, too. Gunshots sound like a roaring jet engine, and brass hitting the ground sounds like distant church bells.

Okie John
    “The reliability of the 30-06 on most of the world’s non-dangerous game is so well established as to be beyond intelligent dispute.” Finn Aagaard
    "Don't fuck with it" seems to prevent the vast majority of reported issues." BehindBlueI's

User Tag List