Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Adding video to your training

Adding video to your training

If you don't have anyone to assist and you work on public assigned-to-a-lane ranges, are those expensive head-mounted cameras worth it? Are there other simpler, less expensive options? Please share your experiences! TIA!

I know very little about the subject, but... what's your price range?
    Recovering Gun Store Commando. My Blog: The Clue Meter
    “It doesn’t matter what the problem is, the solution is always for us to give the government more money and power, while we eat less meat.”
    Glenn Reynolds

I recently got a Tachyon X OPS camera they are around $150 and take great video, not as fancy as the GoPro, but if all you want is quick on/off and great video and sound, they work really well. Also lighter and smaller platform than the GoPro (in it's waterproof case).
    ...and to think today you just have fangs

Rob Engh
    BC, Canada

I have go pros for my racing stuff, but I find them too big and bulky for shooting. Something like a contour would be better

I think the contour is great for this application, especially for the $100-ish prices starting out. Also, there are a lot of mounting options.

For those using both external and POV video in training, which are you getting more out of, and how/why?

For me, ability to analyze my stage plans and spot errors in my shooting. And course I have to provide video for my sponsors so that works out.
    and it's also really cool to broadcast to a Samsung tv with allshare turned on at a restaurant that insists on putting team sports up on their tv....

Rob Engh
    BC, Canada

Quote Originally Posted by TumblinDown View Post
    If you don't have anyone to assist and you work on public assigned-to-a-lane ranges, are those expensive head-mounted cameras worth it? Are there other simpler, less expensive options? Please share your experiences! TIA!
    It seems like the replies are speaking to match videos but the OP is talking about being in a fixed position shooting lane.

If thats the case, and your looking to use video to review your technique, then what i like to do is use the front facing camera on my smart phone or tablet and place it on the bench or propped up so it can see me and what Im working on. Video downrange doesnt help me pick out places to improve my reload or help me check my grip like right under my hands looking up on a Bill Drill would.
    I also like to use a Flip video device my wife got me a few years back when Im outside and can get full body video.
    Pittsburgh, PA host for www.aliastraining.com , and www.shivworks.com

www.anti-fragile.net

Thanks for all of the replies! Setting up a smartphone seems worth a try, but the front-facing camera typically has *significantly* less resolution that the rear-facing one (and I'm not even going to attempt using that). I'd guess the frames-per-second is lower too.

Slavex, that Trachyon looks tiny! That has to be a consideration too. Is SD sufficient versus HD, and perhaps even 60fps? While I'm stuck in a lane most of the time, I would like something I could use in less constraining environments too. For those with experience with the Contour, can you mount it to the bill of a cap or is something sturdier needed?

The Tachyone is small and light, and I got mine with their hat, so it's centered on the brim. Takes a bit of fiddling to figure out where it needs to aim, but once you sort that out it's good. I find the Contour too big, I didn't like running it.

Rob Engh
    BC, Canada

User Tag List