Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 210111213 LastLast

Thread: If you had to construct a revolver battery

Can I just skip to the chase and say I hate everyone in this thread so far that has posted pics?

Quote Originally Posted by NEPAKevin View Post
    No auxiliary interchangeable cylinders?
    Yea why not.
    Might as well toss in a 9mm cylinder... what's another $300 when you're already in for 3.5 grand?
    "For a moment he felt good about this. A moment or two later he felt bad about feeling good about it. Then he felt good about feeling bad about feeling good about it and, satisfied, drove on into the night."
    -- Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy --

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Haggard View Post
    Can I just skip to the chase and say I hate everyone in this thread so far that has posted pics?
    I always figured you for one of those fellers that would have a slew of resolvers stashed away.
    Men freely believe that which they desire.
    Julius Caesar

Quote Originally Posted by Crow Hunter View Post
    If you woke up tomorrow and all your semi-autos were gone and you couldn't get them back and had to create a handgun "battery" to cover all the things that you currently like/want to do but with revolvers. What would you get? Preferably models readily available on the new/used market. (I'm thinking of your esoteric response ahead of time Tamara) Not some ultra rare collectors item. Please feel free to use these categories or just make up your own if you prefer.

Home Defense-
    CCW-
    Target practice/training-
    Shooting games-
    Hunting-
    Fun-
    Other-

Thanks for playing.
    For AIWB or IWB carry
    2- 3inch 357magnum 686 or GP100. I like both and prefer the S&W looks

BUG
    2- M642/442

Love the 681 3inch above and would love 2

Quote Originally Posted by Wheeler View Post
    I always figured you for one of those fellers that would have a slew of resolvers stashed away.
    Not nearly enough. And you guys remind me with these threads how I have been stupid enough over the years to sell off a model 19, 66, 67, 10 and my Speed Six

Yesterday was something of an epiphany for me.

I have always desired a 3.5" M-27, but every time one has presented itself, I have come up with a reason to pass on it. Yesterday, I held another of my long-desired classic revolvers; a 2" square butt five-screw M&P. This one was cherry, hardly a mark. No box or papers, but I don't buy guns to collect & show them. The price wasn't unreasonable, I had the cash in my pocket, and as I stood there holding and admiring it, all I could think about was my hope of running across a NIB VP9 before I got to the end of the show.

As I walked away after putting it back on the table, my lizard brain was screaming "What did you just DO??? (or, more importantly, NOT do)". But my main brain was telling me, "Smart move."

And it was. While I have several true classic S&W revolvers, the only one of them that ever gets used is the old M-60 I bought when I was in the academy… and that for a training substitute when I'm in my recoil-shy mode. The ones that see the most use are my M-360PD and M-242; hardly classics, by any yardstick. Yeah, yeah, I know… you don't have to USE them, just HAVE them. But lately, I'm thinking more and more about resource management; what I would have paid for that M&P classic will net me a VP9, several more magazines, and a case of ball ammunition.

So, on the one hand I feel a bit diminished, as those grand old S&W revolvers I once cherished are now just another artifact. I still appreciate them; I just no longer have the desire to own any more. I used to be able to separate "need" and "want". Now, for some reason, they seem to have entertwined themselves…

" Back in the day" I had a 4" Ruger GP100 and a Smith & Wesson 640-1. The GP100 was great uniform duty gun and the 640-1 was a great BUG and off-duty gun. I once even qualified with the 640-1 with full magnum loads, just because I could. My hand was sore for two days afterward.

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk
    • It's not the odds, it's the stakes.
    • If you aren't dry practicing every week, you're not serious.....
    • "Tache-Psyche Effect - a polite way of saying 'You suck.' " - GG

New guy here, first post, been lurking for a few days. Hello everyone. Anyway, revolvers were my first love, when it come to handguns. My short list is:
    Home Defense: Smith and Wesson 25-2 45acp with full moon clips
    Smith and Wesson 27, .357 mag, 5 inch barrel
    Ruger new Vaqueros in 45 Colt, both 4-5/8" and 5.5"

CCW: 442 Smith, and Model 60 bobbed hammer
    NAA Mini Revolver in .22mag
    Smith and Wesson model 64, 38 special, 2 inch barrel
    Colt Detective Special
    Ruger New Vaquero 4-5/8" 45 Colt, and Ruger New Vaquero Birds Head, 45 Colt, 3.75 inch barrel, (Yes, I know, slow reload, but I like the big hole in the barrel)

Hunting, Field Carry, and just general use: Smith and Wesson Model 17-4 K-22 with 6 inch barrel
    Ruger Single Six .22/22Mag in 5.5 and 4.625 barrel lengths
    Ruger Bearcat .22
    Ruger Super Blackhawk 44 mag, 4.625" barrel length
    Colt second Generation .357 mag, 5.5 inch barrel (probably my favorite)
    Smith and Wesson 4 inch Model 29

That's a start I guess, and I could of course get by with less

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Haggard View Post
    Not nearly enough. And you guys remind me with these threads how I have been stupid enough over the years to sell off a model 19, 66, 67, 10 and my Speed Six
    I did the same thing . I sold all my K&L frames. Now I just have a M642-2 with dreaded lock. But so far haven't had any lock ups. plus I never lock it but I do keep the key on my key ring

Site Supporter
    I sold a SW 651 in 22 Mag. However, given the 22 mag rounds that existed when I had it - I found that 50 rounds had so much unburned junk that it glued the entire thing shut. I had to heat in the furnance and take it to the blacksmith to get it open. Not really, just tons of cleaner. At 7 yards, a target got covered with residue. To answer the question - I'm happy with a 642 and a Model 19. I have a Bearcat in SS for some 22 LR plinking and it is a pretty cowboyish gun. I get new folks to shoot it if they ask to start shooting stuff.

User Tag List