Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Remington 700 vs Tikka T3

Remington 700 vs Tikka T3

I have an SPS Tactical 700 in .308 While it is an accurate rifle and I really enjoy the compact size, there's a few things I really don't like. It's a pain in the ass to load from the top, and the action is difficult to operate.

I'm contemplating switching to a Tikka T3. Anyone have any experience with them? I have a friend who used one, and he's very happy with it, and claims it is a sub-moa gun with hunting ammo.

I might add, this would be a 0-400 yard rifle used for hunting. No bench rest stuff, and the gun will remain bone stock.

I say go for the Tikka. They are an awesome hunting rifle for the money. The only time I would recomend a 700 is if you are planning a custom build. Very little aftermarket stuff out there for the Tikka.

Remington 700 vs Tikka T3

I spent some time with my buddies t3. They're incredibly well built and accurate, and the cost is not that bad. Good consistent ammo certainly turns in MOA / Sub MOA groups.
    "I want to see someone running down the street with a sims-gun shrieking 'I am the first revelation' " - SouthNarc

Site Supporter
    Have you considered a DBM kit, and a bolt knob, for the 700?

I have not considered that... But a quick search turned up $200 for the metal and $80 for a magazine, and maybe gunsmith work. Plus that doesn't smooth the action any does it?

Or I could sell the $600 rifle I have and but the other $600 rifle that already has what I need. I'm here for advice, y'all tell me if I'm missing something!

Site Supporter
    Yea, those numbers aren't far off.

IME: A 700 will never be as smooth as a Sako/Tikka, but you can put on a bolt handle to make it easier to manipulate. If keep the firing-pin cam lubed with grease, it'll help a bit too.

Those Remington conversions are nice but you're right, they don't smooth the action. The also don't change the bolt rotation (60 degrees on a Tikka versus 90 on a Remington). Not really a big deal, but nice with some scopes when you're running the bolt fast. Like I said, for what you want (stock rifle to hunt out to 400 yards) I don't think you can beat the Tikka.

Tikka, every time. IMO.

Anything else in the $600 price range that is comparable to a Tikka?

User Tag List