Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Dry firing striker-fired vs. hammer

Dry firing striker-fired vs. hammer

I have searched and may have missed an earlier discussion, however I couldn't find a thread on this question.

I have been shooting an HK P30L, however due to aging eyes and a struggle with the front sight I decided to give an RMR a try. Rather than mill my HK right away I bought an M&P and had Mark at L&M Precision install an RMR to see how it works for me. (He is outstanding by the way.) My question: Is it "normal" to find some front sight twitching during dry-firing a striker-fired gun vs. a hammer gun? Specifically when dry firing my HK I can keep the front sight absolutely rock steady. The M&P wants to twitch just the smallest amount. I refer to it as a twitch because it's not a jump- just a miniscule movement. I am able to consistently keep a dime balanced on the narrow front sight from Dawson during dry firing the M&P yet it still twitches ever so slightly. Does a striker-fired M&P show trigger issues that are masked in the HK or is it just normal to show a twitch? It seems to me that I should be able to hold it just as steady and that I need to work harder on it.............

Thank you for your reply.

Yes, at least in my case. The 'twang' of the striker spring puts just a touch of wobble in the gun.

I noticed the same thing when I switched from a 1911 to an M&P. Just a slight twitch of the front sight during dry fire that I couldn't get rid of. I finally looked closely and focused on the back of the gun at the space between the slide and the frame and realized that the slide moves slightly relative to the frame when the shot breaks on a striker fired gun. I am sure some do it more than others and I don't think it is enough to affect accuracy, but it can be annoying when you start to notice it.

It drove me crazy for awhile when doing the wall drill because I thought I had a trigger control problem. Once I figured out what it was it quit bothering me but I still notice it.

Does using a snap cap mitigate this issue?

I have always noticed this issue with Glocks, and it makes me crazy, because sometimes it doesn't do it. I assume it /is/ a trigger control issue, therefore.

Quote Originally Posted by JAD View Post
    I have always noticed this issue with Glocks, and it makes me crazy, because sometimes it doesn't do it. I assume it /is/ a trigger control issue, therefore.
    Use to happen to me. I remember at a class LAV said something to the effect that it was from the striker. It no longer happens to me since I guess I'm gripping the gun tighter. Back then I didn't lift, so it might be a strength thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Sotex View Post
    Does using a snap cap mitigate this issue?
    Not in my experience. Seems to be the same with or without a snap cap.

Thank you all for the replies. I'm glad to read other people have experienced the same thing. Sotex: That is a good question. I'll grab some and give them a try and see if it helps or doesn't as Corey noted. In the meantime I'll continue to work on my trigger finger/grip and see how it works out.

So what is everyone's take on this

"The problem with the standard Glock trigger pull is that the trigger collapses when the firing pin is released causing a "jerk" at the most critical point in trigger control. This is solved by the trigger stop in the McNally Trigger by stopping the rearward travel (at the source) once the firing pin is released. ***You will see an immediate benefit when you dry fire and see the front sight not move when the firing pin is released. ***This is a positive trigger stop because it stops at the trigger not at the trigger mechanism housing like some aftermarket kits."

http://www.mcglock.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Corey View Post
    Not in my experience. Seems to be the same with or without a snap cap.
    Yes, it is all the same.

Dry fire while balancing a dime/brass on the front sight becomes an exercise in both trigger control and grip strength with a Glock.

User Tag List