Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: AAR: Armed Movement In Structures (AMIS) June 4-5, 2011 Culpeper, VA

I haven't had time to write a complete AAR on the class since I've been back, but I want to second exactly what SN said. I've been in situations that on reflection, my police training was not sufficient and be LUCK I was able to come out on top. Academy training in most places is a joke. I sought out my own training on my own time and slowly built a resume to rely on.

I had my doubts about the class in the beginning. It was extremely difficult to overcome years of training which had simple solutions for the kinds of problems being presented in AMIS. Basically, you don't go in and clear a structure on your own. You wait for backup. Clearing is done haphazardly and it's only luck that no one gets hurt. It comes down to the fact that most places are empty by the time we get there. Or, the person is hiding and is compliant. But, then there is the five percent who want to bring the pain. They are hiding with the intention of doing whatever is necessary not to go back to jail. This year has been extremely deadly for cops with a lot of deaths happening on searches for violent felons. While I'm not going to start a discussion on that, this was my mindset going it to the class.

The first part of the day I was overwhelmed. The science behind SN system of clearing was a lot to digest. At one point he put me on the spot about the gospel on building tactics - don't stay in the fatal funnel. Well, he showed me why it might actually be the best place to be! Hmm. By the time we finished the night evos I started to own the material. The next day was much easier.

My internal replay of the shooting was interesting. I found I didn't use the sights in most encounters but presented my gun exactly the place I always do after many hours of repetitions. My shots were mostly center mass, the place we train to shoot. At least it worked the way it was designed to do. More later.

I also want to thank SN for making sure I "got it" before the end of class. I would take a class with him again in a heartbeat.
    SNY

Quote Originally Posted by SecretNY View Post
    My internal replay of the shooting was interesting. I found I didn't use the sights in most encounters but presented my gun exactly the place I always do after many hours of repetitions. My shots were mostly center mass, the place we train to shoot. At least it worked the way it was designed to do. More later.
    I remember in my first ECQC, I went to take a headshot at 10Y (other two guys entangled, with one beating on the other) and discovered that the 17T I'd been using all day had no front sight!

Great reviews. I don't suppose there's a website somewhere with a list of classes and such or is it more of a it happens when it happens where it happens thing. By the way, was Dave the android?

Quote Originally Posted by EmanP View Post
    Great reviews. I don't suppose there's a website somewhere with a list of classes and such or is it more of a it happens when it happens where it happens thing. By the way, was Dave the android?
    www.shivworks.com

Quote Originally Posted by EmanP View Post
    By the way, was Dave the android?
    Nope. Buddy of mine from Ft. Bragg.

fuuuuck. I guess maybe I should be talking to the boys around here for a similar place for next year.
    Great AAR's guys, better detail than most and they give us a real good feel for what can be expected from SN. Awesome.
    ...and to think today you just have fangs

Rob Engh
    BC, Canada

Quote Originally Posted by SouthNarc View Post
    Nope. Buddy of mine from Ft. Bragg.
    Hmmmmmmmmmm...

This course is absolutely on my short list - hope to be able to host it but I'll travel if I can't.

Quote Originally Posted by Jay Cunningham View Post
    This course is absolutely on my short list - hope to be able to host it but I'll travel if I can't.
    I was very ill and had to miss the class. Real bummer.

Next year

This course sounds awesome. I've been looking for quality fof that you can't find playing airsoft with 12 year olds.

Any plans on offering this course again in northern virginia?

User Tag List