Thread: NRA basic home defense course @ BVRPC

NRA basic home defense course @ BVRPC

We (wife and I) just attended the "Pilot Class" at Beaver Valley Rifle Pistol Club (BVRPC) for the "NRA's Basics of Personal Protection in the Home."

As usual, the skill, knowledge, and dedication of the BVRPC
    training staff went above and beyond the requirements.

The class was well paced, the range-time was productive,
    the curriculum was informative and interesting, the instructors
    were confident and engaging, and the guest speaker (a lawyer)
    presented timely and relevant interpretations of appropriate
    laws related to personal defense combined with scenarios and
    discussions of rights and responsibilities of fire arms owners/users.

Congratulations again to the BVRPC staff and instructors.

We will be looking forward to the next pistol class.

We enthusiastically recommend this class and the club.

Wendell & Lisa
    A good example has twice the value of good advice,...

What did they cover for the "Shooting Skills: Low Light" portion?

Shooting skills: Low light,...

Since this was a "basic" class with lots of information and limited time, and this was the pilot class for this club, the low light portion consisted mostly of discussion of the scenarios and concerns for shooting in a low light situation. Probably the best tip(s) I picked-up from the low light shooting presentation was to aqcuire the "low flash" ammunition so you don't a) blind yourself with your own muzzle flash when you shoot in the dark, and b) so you don't give away your position any more than necessary with the tell-tale muzzle flash.

Other pointers I gathered from the range session, that could easily be applied to the low light situation were the drills when we shot from about 7 yards by purposefully mis-aligning the sights high, low, left, right and when we shot just by holding the gun and NOT looking down the sights. I was amazed at how close the shot(s) were, on the target, to where they would have been with correct aiming, especially the shots without looking down the sights. It was an eye-opening experience.

We did not shoot "in the dark," though.
    A good example has twice the value of good advice,...

Quote Originally Posted by Thrill View Post
    Probably the best tip(s) I picked-up from the low light shooting presentation was to aqcuire the "low flash" ammunition so you don't a) blind yourself with your own muzzle flash when you shoot in the dark, and b) so you don't give away your position any more than necessary with the tell-tale muzzle flash.
    I've shot regular ammo in low-light conditions, and I'm not blind. I'm not even sure who manufactures "low flash" ammo, or where to begin to look for it, let alone how much it would cost.

With regards to giving away your position... What about the bang?

Muzzle flash between ammunition types can vary wildly - not just the actual size of the signature but also any extra sparkly crap that comes out and even the color spectrum. The best defensive ammo combines excellent reliability in function, terminal performance, and low muzzle flash - preferably in the orange or red color spectrum.

Yet another benefit of training is the opportunity to go out and see this stuff with your own eyes.

I have never really found muzzle flash to be much of an issue in a low light fight, even from guns that produce significant flash. Pistols do not. Sure, it's a good idea to mask your signature where possible, but I won't waste my time trying to seek out type of pistol ammunition because it has less flash than another. Pistol fighting is a close range evolution.

Also worth noting that the flash and bang come AFTER the projectile has left the barrel. Sound tactics provide much better results than technology.
    You can get much more of what you want with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.

I tried to edit the last post, but I guess my connection doesn't like me much.

I'd also like to add that it is good to make note of muzzle flash, etc. I didn't mean to minimize that fact.

Recognizing that it could be an issue can help drive the entire train and help you not only select proper equipment, but also ensure your tactics, techniques, and procedures are adapted to address such issues, and develop best practices to mitigate those issues. In this case, I would search for a software solution to the problem vs. a hardware solution. But your requirements may be different, and you may find that this is, in fact, an issue for you.
    You can get much more of what you want with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.

The comments on muzzle flash were merely meant to highlight the many differences between the top defensive rounds out there including expansion, penetration, and muzzle flash. Emphasis was placed on the fact that some of the best rounds out there also have a low flash and that while a bright flash may not be as big of a deal, minimizing the flash surely won't hurt.
    Think for yourself. Question authority.

Quote Originally Posted by Sean M View Post
    I have never really found muzzle flash to be much of an issue in a low light fight, even from guns that produce significant flash. Pistols do not. Sure, it's a good idea to mask your signature where possible, but I won't waste my time trying to seek out type of pistol ammunition because it has less flash than another. Pistol fighting is a close range evolution.
    I was asking Jason Falla his opinion on this a few weeks ago and he said pretty much the exact same thing.
    "A good shooter with a weak body and weak mind will lose against one who has the physical ability to crush him, and the mental ability to do it repeatedly"
    -Kyle Defoor

Buffalo Bore has several loadings that they claim are "flash suppressed", including special loads for short-barreled .38s and .357s. Don't know if it's real or just marketing. I've never tried them.
    http://www.buffalobore.com/index.php?l=product_list&c=1

User Tag List