Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ready ... aim ... point ... talk

Ready ... aim ... point ... talk

"Jerome M. Hauer, Gov. Andrew Cuomo's director of homeland security, took out his handgun and used the laser sighting device attached to the barrel as a pointer in a presentation to a foreign delegation..."

To quote Tam.....this is my shocked face.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk
    AKA: SkyLine1

I have heard second hand of a few field grade officers pulling such stunts during briefings OCONUS with laser grips on an M9, but I suppose that was all hunky-dory because the pistol was "unloaded".

Murder Machine, Harmless Fuzzball TCinVA's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by texasaggie2005 View Post

"Jerome M. Hauer, Gov. Andrew Cuomo's director of homeland security, took out his handgun and used the laser sighting device attached to the barrel as a pointer in a presentation to a foreign delegation..."
    This. This is why cops on the street can't have useful equipment. Because of fears that somebody on patrol will ape exactly this sort of behavior.
    3/15/2016

Quote Originally Posted by TCinVA View Post
    This. This is why cops on the street can't have useful equipment. Because of fears that somebody on patrol will ape exactly this sort of behavior.
    As my kiddo likes to say "I know, right?"

This guy should have perhaps been immediately arrested for agg. assault (whatever the NY version of that is) for placing people in reasonable fear of death or great bodily harm. That would have gotten the point across nicely.

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Haggard View Post
    As my kiddo likes to say "I know, right?"

This guy should have perhaps been immediately arrested for agg. assault (whatever the NY version of that is) for placing people in reasonable fear of death or great bodily harm. That would have gotten the point across nicely.
    Yep! One of my laser "pet peeves" is the often espoused "I can use the beam to intimidate them"........Really? So you obviously can't shoot them (or you would have) so instead we are going to point a loaded gun at someone to scare them with the laser. So what happens when the bad guy says "go ahead and shoot me" and you don't? Then you get what I call "Jesus Syndrome" where the evil doer now thinks they are invincible. This is why I like lasers on non lethal stuff. Nothing like "go ahead and shoot me" and you zap him with a 40mm foam round.

The case in the original post is the same kind of stupidity I see with WML's being used as a "flashlight" for obvious flashlight jobs when people are too lazy or stupid to use an actual flashlight instead of a light attached to a gun. The idiot in the NY case was too lazy or stupid (or wanted attention) to use an actual laser pointer. I have zero patience for this kind of dangerous gun handling, especially from those who feel entitled and that rules don't apply to them.
    Just a Hairy Special Snowflake supply clerk with no field experience, shooting an Asymetric carbine as a Try Hard. Snarky and easily butt hurt. Favorite animal is the Cape Buffalo....likely indicative of a personality disorder.
    "If I had a grandpa, he would look like Delbert Belton".

Yep! One of my laser "pet peeves" is the often espoused "I can use the beam to intimidate them"........Really? So you obviously can't shoot them (or you would have) so instead we are going to point a loaded gun at someone to scare them with the laser.
    I have to disagree a bit. Just because you can shoot them doesn't mean you have to shoot them in my experience. I've done a lot more talking. negotiating, and alternative problem solving than just pulling the trigger in situations where lethal force was fully justified. If the laser can convince the BG he is in an untenable position and convinces him to give up I certainly prefer that over shooting him. I agree, don't laser the guy up if you aren't willing to follow it up, specifically because of the "go ahead, shoot" scenario. But if the little red dot can make the "I'm about to die" light go on and gets Joe BG to come off the trigger, drop the knife, or whatever is needed it sure saves a lot of paperwork.
    "PLAN FOR YOUR TRAINING TO BE A REFLECTION OF REAL LIFE INSTEAD OF HOPING THAT REAL LIFE WILL BE A REFLECTION OF YOUR TRAINING!"

Quote Originally Posted by nyeti View Post
    I have zero patience for this kind of dangerous gun handling, especially from those who feel entitled and that rules don't apply to them.
    Hate to point this out, but the rules realistically dont apply to him.By some interpretations of the law, the fact that he brought a weapon into the building was illegal notwithstanding the NYC carry permit , to say nothing of him subsequently brandishing the weapon in front of foreign dignitaries.

Had any ordinary ,non connected New Yorker done the same thing, they'd be in jail and their gun paraded in front of the news camera on the nightly news.

This is why we can't have nice things.
    -Seconds Count. Misses Don't-

The true comedy gold, in my opinion, is the part where people move out of their seats to avoid being muzzled . . . and then the Swedes are "alarmed" when he passes the laser dot across one man's head. Apparently Swedes are a nervous bunch . . . you point one little 9mm handgun at them, and suddenly it's awkward.

User Tag List