Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 4121314

Thread: Question:Why IDPA/USPSA?

Quote Originally Posted by PPGMD View Post
    Though I am curious why they would regulate a shooter's underwear.
    Utilikilts?
    Recovering Gun Store Commando. My Blog: The Clue Meter
    “It doesn’t matter what the problem is, the solution is always for us to give the government more money and power, while we eat less meat.”
    Glenn Reynolds

Speedos would obviously give a competitive advantage. Warriors wear boxer briefs or go commando.
    "You can't win a war with choirboys. " Mad Mike Hoare

Doh, I should've checked your location before I made that joke.

It is to regulate the allowable amount of body support. A back brace or girdle, or leggings with some type of bracing sewn in would give a distinct advantage in standing position. At one time (mid 1970's I think) some shooters tried using ski boots for the standing portion of the matches. The rules were changed to carefully specify allowable shoe designs and materials, as well as to say you have to wear the same shoes through the entire match. Equipment inspection can go as far as using special calipers to measure the thickness of the seams in your clothing and measurements of the tightness of the shooting coat. The idea is to keep everyone as equal as possible in terms of how much body and position support they get from their clothing and other equipment. It sounds silly but at that level you'll try almost anything to pick up a couple of points. I even got to pee in a bottle at some matches.

Now back to your regularly scheduled thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Corey View Post
    One final thought on the politics of guns and shooting sports. The more people owning guns, learning to handle them safely, and enjoying them the better it is for all of us. I don’t care what game they play, cowboy action, registered trap, Olympic rapid fire pistol, 3-gun, or F-class; if they find a game they enjoy and play it we all win.
    Very well said, and 100% agreement. We should not be discouraging anyone by putting the sports down. If you prefer one or the other, great. If you prefer neither, great. But let's not poison people from even trying them or continuing to participate.
    CC
    That a well-regulated militia, composed of the body of the people, trained to arms, is the proper, natural, and safe defense of a free state;

User Tag List